• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. resman

FORTH PLASMA + PLFORTH !

There are probably more FORTH programmers here than PLASMA programmers (perhaps not really saying much), but I spent the Holiday break to implement a minimal FORTH in PLASMA. Although I've spent a lot of time in the lower level plumbing of FORTH, I never used it or really programmed in it. So...
  2. resman

PLASMA goes ROGUE

Introduction This version of ROGUE is somewhat different than others. It is very simple in most ways, but I have developed a (I think) unique visibility algorithm that runs extremely fast. Fast enough to run interpreted by the PLASMA VM on a 1 MHz 6502, and space efficient enough to allow for...
  3. resman

PLASMA 2.0

PLASMA (Proto Language ASeMbler for All) version 2.0 released After plugging away at this for over 5 years, there needed to be a push to wrap up the remaining issues and release. What is PLASMA? PLASMA is a medium level programming language targeting the 8-bit 6502, with 16-bit support for...
  4. resman

More CGA "even lower res" shenanigans

While looking at a VGA Mode-X image viewer I wrote some time ago, it got me thinking that we're missing some modes on the CGA that should be easy to implement and provide some benefits over the 160x100 16 color lores mode. On the CGA, the next obvious 16 color mode to implement is an 80x50 16...
  5. resman

RepelZ: New game for a 40 year old IBM PC

Here is a new game written for the original IBM PC with a CGA (EGA & VGA compatible). It is a top-down 2D shoot-em-up scroller using the very under utilized 160x100 16 color mode. Perhaps not the most in-depth game play, but it is somewhat challenging and a little topical: Your region has...
  6. resman

More fun with CGA 160x100 16 color mode

The scrolling tilemap and sprite library is coming along nicely, but as a diversion I brought over my fast line drawing routine and 16 color dithering code. Here is a composite color display of a selfie using the dithering in the most inefficient way possible. But the results aren't terrible -...
  7. resman

Maze Runner - a game that could have been

I've been developing a library to implement fast 2D scrolling on the CGA and low-end CPUs. One of my testbed programs is this maze generator that you move a happy face around to solve. Not a particularly complex game, but it does run well on everything from a 4.77 MHz 8088 on up at 60 FPS. I...
  8. resman

CGA 160x100x16 bidirectional scrolling

This is a feasibility study in bidirectional hardware scrolling using the hacked lores/alpha-graphics mode of the CGA. I'm convinced this is the best graphics mode for games on a low-end PC with CGA graphics. But doing a fast full screen update is out-of-reach when using a lowly 8088. Of course...
  9. resman

Compaq Unicorn Monitor

After waiting years, scanning the selling sites looking for it, I found it. The Compaq VGA 1024 monitor matching the e and L box style design language. Showing off my 386/20e with its new head running Windows 95, Linux, and NT 4. It's using an ATI Graphics Wonder with 1Mb instead of the built-in...
  10. resman

Covoids!

Ok, this may be pushing good taste a little, but I wanted to do something with the DeskPro 286 I just built. So I whipped this up in a couple of days. Tried to make it timely, but it's really just a cheap version of Asteroids. COVOIDS! Kill the COVID virus...
  11. resman

Compaq DeskPro 286 resurrection

First off, I'm not a fan of the 80286; not a particularly compelling CPU architecture to me. However, I bought this Deskpro 286 many years ago as a non-functional machine to use for parts for my other DeskPros. I tried to revive it some time ago - a shorted cap on the power rail kept the power...
  12. resman

Fast line drawing and RGB in 8 BPP

Nothing new here, in fact this is from projects 30+ years ago that I never had a chance to complete satisfactorily due to time constraints. Everything is posted on GitHub: https://github.com/dschmenk/Bresen-Span First up is a span based Bresenham line implementation. Being able to fill...
  13. resman

EGA/VGA 16 color dithering

About 30 years ago I wrote a few Windows display drivers for various HW platforms. In doing so, one algorithm I always defaulted to the Microsoft implementation was the RGB dithered brush generation. Always short on time and the sample code from MS, either x86 assembly or even the C code, was...
  14. resman

Compaq Portable + Compaq EGA

I found a Compaq branded EGA card with the intent of upgrading my Compaq Portable. The Compaq EGA card has the internal header to plug the CRT into. However, it has two sets of switches that must configure the EGA for the special frequencies/modes of the Portable. I have looked high and low...
  15. resman

Model III serial number

While doing some badly needed floppy drive maintenance on my Model III, I notice the serial number seems to be rather low. Not knowing the total number of Model IIIs produced, I wondered if this made my unit a fairly early one: This machine came from the Paradise Storage Unit sale and left for...
  16. resman

Apple II PLASMA Developer Preview 1.0 Available:

Modern Retroprogramming on the Apple II. When was the last time you programmed a modern language on a 40 year old computer? Now is your chance. PLASMA is a combination of operating environment, virtual machine, and assembler/compiler matched closely to the 6502 architecture. Check out the...
  17. resman

Retro-modern computer builds

(Not actually sure where this thread belongs, but I'll start here) Does anyone else enjoy building modern computers with a vintage feel? I thought I'd post my two favorites: They look like a bog standard Apple //c and Compaq Portable III but in reality they contain modern components mixed...
  18. resman

Apple IIGS NTSC artifact colors in SHR graphics mode

I've posted most of the material from my KansasFest 2017 session: NTSC artifact colors - TNG on Github including some screenshots. I was greatly inspired by the 8088 MPH! demo and playing around with CGA composite color over last winter. Hopefully this leads to some cool IIGS demos in the...
  19. resman

Televideo 910+

This is another part of the Paradise storage room collection and it lives, too! However, getting this up and running was about the most challenging project I've dealt with. It was very dirty (like the TRS-80 Model III) and required lots of cleaning. When finally powered on, I heard the beep but...
  20. resman

It lives!

I got this Model III from the Paradise storage room sale. Untested, but I took a chance. The brightness & contrast controls had to be broken free and lubed. And it booted - then the line filter caps went. Snipped those. Got the floppy drives lubed and the heads cleaned - had to actually...
Back