• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

RX01 RT-11 no disk error 17

Dear All! I would like to ask for some advice how to perform trouble shooting on my dual RX01 drives. I can boot RT-11 on my PDP11 using drive 1 but drive 0 is not working "ERR 17 no disk" I have so far cleaned the drives including heads, the voltages are ok an all connectors seem to be non...
  2. S

Alternate buffer DMA interface DRQ11 (M7549) - what is this?

Dear All! Does anybody know what thew purpose is of this module? Is it some kind of fast digital IO? There seems to be a similar module which can put 16bit date in and from memory...
  3. S

RX50 MICRO-11 / PDP-11 Test disks

Dear all! Is there a place where I can find disk images of these test disks? I have only disk #1, I am pretty sure there are more out there Thanks and best regards Stephan
  4. S

Starting a DEC PDP 11/23 from RX50 Floppy

Dear all! A µPDP-11/23+ with RQDX1 controller reports at startup: In the list of bootable devices, I cannot see the RX50. Is there any possibility to boot from floppy disk or do I have a wrong boot ROM? Regards Stephan
  5. S

Cable to connect a color video monitor to an VT240

Dear all! I assume I can get color graphics from a VT240 when I connect a color monitor to the 15pin video connector? Unfortunately this does not work with my model - maybe I have a wrong pinpout? I am using a SONY PVM1492 video monitor, I connected three BNC cables (R/G/B) to the monitor and...
  6. S

Booting PDP from VAX

Dear all! I am trying replicate a setup where a PDP11/23 with DEQNA Network interface booted from a VAX. OS on VAX side was VMS 5.5, OS on PDP side was RSX-11M. Unfortunately the VAX is dead and I am currently unsure if the VAXes harddrive is still intact and if the configuration is still...
  7. S

Issues with several KA640 CPU Boards

Dear all, I am currently trying to restore a Microvax 3400 (KA640 CPU). During startup, I get a few error messages, followed by "normal operation not possible". The CPU is a "new one" recently bought from Ebay. Apart from the CPU, two DSSI Drives (RF71 & RF73) are installed in the system and...
  8. S

LSI-11/03 - 32kW -- recommended Software?

Dear all! As this is my first PDP-11 - I would like to kindly ask for some advice which software / Operating system will work and what is worth trying? Which Operating system does make sense? RT-11 or something else? Is except from a BASIC interpreter some other languages (Pascal/Fortran...
  9. S

8" Floppy Drive REMEX RFD 2000 repairs

Dear all, unfortunately, both of my REMEX 8" Floppy Drives http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/remex/floppy/112670-103A_RFD4000_RFD2000_Diskette_Technical_Manual_1979.pdf have a damaged wheel that presses the diskette against the rotor, likely the pastic got brittle over the years. Is this a known...
  10. S

PDP11 - RX01 Writing disks

Dear All, as the RX01 cannot format disks, the PDP11GUI is not helpful writing disk images without pre-formatted disks, correct? So I need to make another 8" Floppy Disk Drive work with a PC/Image Disk/FM compatible controller, right? About the media, I suppose any single sided media will...
  11. S

PDP11 - LSI11/02 and RQDX3

Dear All, I currently try to restore a system with KD11-HA CPU and additional 32kW RAM Card MSV11-D in a dual width backplane and a lot of questions, as this is my first PDP-11. I am a starting with storage.... Is there a possibility to operate a MFM harddrive and 5.25" RD50 disk drives...
  12. S

KA640 CPU no operation - "F" on Console Panel

Dear All, I have recently got a Microvax 3400 in nice condition. Unfortunately is the KA640 CPU board stuck in "F" condition (LED on Console Panel) with no output on the serial console. Anybody maybe some ideas?
  13. S

DEC RA92 Troubleshooting

Dear all! Any RA92 operators here? I recently got a few RA92 Drive unit beasts (>30kg each) . All of them have been stored for years in unfavorable conditions, so there is dirt and rust on the enclosure. The drive (HDA) and electronics look almost new. I can power on the the drive, the POWER...
  14. S

Use of a RQDX3 Controller on a Microvax 3500

Dear all, I am trying to use a KA650 CPU in a MV3500 together with a RQDX3 Controller. Unfortunately, I do not own the BA23 Front Panel with the LEDs and Switches, only the distribution panel. When I try to boot from a harddrive perpared on a MV2000 or try to mount a MFM drive from VMS...
  15. S

SCSI Drives for VAXStation2000 (Moeller Patch)

Dear all, in order to use SCSI Drives on my VS2000, I have patched the 2.3 System Eproms and installed the PK2KDRVR.EXE according to http://home.iae.nl/users/pb0aia/vax/vs-scsi.html I can now boot the system from the MFM Drive (real or emulated using...
  16. S

VAXServer, VAXStation or MicroVAX 2000?

Dear All, I have some issues to understand the various "names" of the "VAX in a vinecase" machines. I own two machines, both labelled as "VAXStation 2000". Both report during VMS Installation to be "VAXServers"; when I type from VMS "show CPU" they behave accordingly. From later VaxServers...
  17. S

VAX VMS Error "shareable images must be installed to run privileged"

Hi all, since I have set up a cluster, I cannot run NCP any more. When I try, I get following error message: Does anybody know what the reason is and how to fix this? Thanks a lot Stephan
  18. S

TZ30 repair

Dear all! I have here a TZ30 which worked fine for a while, but suddenly it refuses to mount any tapes. When I insert a Compactape and lock it, it begins to spool some tape but suddenly all three leds blink. The head is cleaned freshly, so dirt on the head is excluded. I tried several known...
  19. S

RA70 and RA73 repair - any suggestions

Dear All, I own two dead harddrives, a RA73 and a RA70. both work from the electronics side, they are recognized by the KDA50 controller. The RA73 worked fine for a few hours after replacement of the dead tantalum caps but now immediately shows the red error led after startup. The RA70 shows...
  20. S

orange tantalum (?) caps in DEC equipment

Dear All! Anybody knows which values (voltage rating / capacity in uF) can be used as a replacement for these orange blobs that can be found in DEC equipment? As an example, I have here a RA72 disk drive which needs cap replacement. On the RA72 the caps have the dimensions 4x6.7mm and...
Back