• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. N

Old task switching TSR

I vaguely recall using a TSR long before Windows that was a simple ASCII time-slicer - when switching to another app the others went in to a wait - it wasn't a multi-tasking utility and was very small. I believe is was pre DESQview but looked very similar and wasn't one of these...
  2. N

Choosing the best video standard for your old PC (MDA/CGA/EGA/VGA)

I use VGA on my modified 5160 since I can run everything from DOS through Windows 3.1. Even in DOS its nicer on a 20" flat panel. I use anauto-sensing ATi 38800-1 Graphics Ultra Mach8 SVGA adapter with 1.5MB of video memory driving a a 20" ViewSonic flat panel display at 1024x768x256 SVGA...
  3. N

Why do no modern-day accelerators exist for the PC?

I LOVE my Intel InBoard/386 PC. It has a 4MB daughter card (for a total of 5MB of extended RAM). I dropped in a pin-compatible 486 CPU (took less than 5 minutes) and a driver to get to 486 class CPU performance with my 5160 system board, but there are limitations. For example, there's no way...
  4. N

What was the first joystick for a home computer?

First Joystick - HH-01 Well, you didn't say electronic :-) I did get to play with this hands-on way back circa 1981.
  5. N

Windows 10 Preview Edition

I am seeking a copy of (the original) Windows 10 preview edition of anyone has a copy they aren't using anymore. Regards, Mike
  6. N

Photoshop 1.0 Unboxing

Photoshop for Windows first version Photoshop for Windows first version Very cool! I installed the first release of Photoshop for Windows, which if I am not mistaken, was Photoshop 2.5. I installed it on my hot rod 33MHz 486 IBM 5160 PC/XT on Windows 3.1 in running in enhanced mode, and it...
  7. N

Arduino PS2 to XT converter

Wellllll...that's what we're all here for - to help and inform each other :-) https://pcpartpicker.com/b/krYrxr
  8. N

Getting Windows 10 to run on a vintagae ISA system

I set out to build a system that could run everything from DOS/Win3.x through modern Windows on the same (multi-boot) machine, with all of the feature of each OS working such as sound, networking, USB, etc., without having to change any components between boot up of each OS. I got far - much...
  9. N

Any recommendations for a good DOS file manager?

I cannot get by without IBM FileCommand - it was an IBM VM/CMS Fulist/Filelst clone able to run DOS commands against any file or directory right next to each file or folder, and easily traverse nested directories ans such. Regards, Mike
  10. N

Soon to be added to the collection: A vintage-modern hybrid

It's done! A single physical machine that can run everything from DOS all the way through modern Windows, with full function for each operating system. I am fully loaded with DOS, Windows 3.11, and Windows 7 so far with more to add in between. The goal was to build a multi-boot wonder, one...
  11. N

has anyone one ever seen this kind of connector

Has anyone ever seen a FEMALE floppy card edge connector to a 34pin male adapter? Regards, Mike
  12. N

A little progress...

Posted in error
  13. N

Soon to be added to the collection: A vintage-modern hybrid

This is my latest weekend project in progress. I am expanding my collection with another custom addition; I want to build a bit of a unicorn hybrid vintage-modern system. I am not sure if it has ever been done before. When complete, the system ought to: Have the widest application support on...
  14. N

Looks for Targa2000 PCI (Win) driver targa2000v171.zip

I have a Truevision Targa2000 video capture board for a PCI bus and know that there are drivers for it for at least WinNT. I've been looking for the drivers and see that there is a copy on DriverGuide listing the zip file as targa2000v171.zip(7.7 MB), but I don't know how to directly download...
  15. N

NewWorld Operating Environment

Anyone ever hear or have New World Operating Environment from Digital Video Arts, Ltd? Its not an OS, but a set of optional windows drivers for the ActionMedia II adapter. Would LOVE to find someone that has a copy. Obscure I know. Regards, Mike
  16. N

Seeking Windows 3.1 driver for Dolch Pit Viper 535 21-1001-0133

I'm still looking I'm still looking Yah, they have to be out there....just have to keep hunting and avoid those virus-pits they call driver download sites. The card showed up today. Here's the card: and here is the ActionMedia II ISA 16 adapter with capture daughter card:
  17. N

Seeking Windows 3.1 driver for Dolch Pit Viper 535 21-1001-0133

Anyone know where I might find a Windows 3.1 driver for this video adapter? It uses a Chips and Technologies BIOS. Regards, Mike
  18. N

A new addiition to the collection..

Here is the latest addition to my collection. I wanted to have a fairly fast machine that still had an ISA slot to support audio under DOS and Windows 3.11, but also run Win95 and Win98 well, and run many apps (games and productivity apps) fast. I know there are faster Pentium systems that have...
  19. N

Are there any concerns...

Are there any concerns selling off builds loaded with abandonware? I've build a few nice systems but thinking of selling off one or two that have a fair amount of it installed.
  20. N

Trying to figure out ISA audio (DOS) confllict with on-board sound

I have a couple of Gateway GP7-500 towers PIII's. They all have 1 ISA slot, but one of them has built in audio on the motherboard while the other two don't. I've been able to add SB16 cards to the two that don't have on-board audio and have sound working in DOS/Win311, but I can't seem to get...
Back