• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. derelictronics

recovering an SGI indigo

One last followup from me; Indigo is back in action. The service manual clearly states that the buffer card is not required for operation. Sure 'nuff the system seems to be operational. Cheers!
  2. derelictronics

recovering an SGI indigo

Put the new battery back in and started isolating components on the graphics board. As soon as I pulled the ZB4 buffer card, I got a chime and an amber LED on the CPU board. On closer inspection I found C55 had met its fate at some point in time. Now to find the value and get a replacement cap...
  3. derelictronics

recovering an SGI indigo

Follow up with further diagnostics: - Connected serial adapter to see if I could get any output there, no luck - No change with a minimal SIMM count, no change after swapping SIMMs around If I can't think of anything else, I'll start reseating socketed ICs and maybe look for another...
  4. derelictronics

recovering an SGI indigo

Did using voltmeter; also the batteries have one pin in the center and one near the edge, making it less likely(?) to put them in backwards.
  5. derelictronics

recovering an SGI indigo

Hey Op - Any updates? I just (within the last couple of hours) have experienced the same situation as you; Indigo was unable to boot with 'unable to set tod clock' message. So I ordered this battery, replaced the old one, and now my Indigo doesn't boot at all; the only thing that does happen is...
  6. derelictronics

Learning PDPs

tl;dr - What roadmap would you lay out for someone new to PDP computers (or '70s non-IBM minicomputers in general) who only had background with PCs, Macs, and servers from the '80s and newer? I keep finding myself more drawn to minicomputers. However, most of the documentation I find is either...
  7. derelictronics

TI Silent 700 Troubleshooting

I recently got a TI Silent 700 Data Terminal, Model 745. It needs some work. The two main issues are 1) The print head produces no characters on the paper 2) The stepper motor that controls the horizontal movement of the print head is sporadic; it often wont advance more that a few spaces, and...
  8. derelictronics

Documentation Overload

Save the Machine has a backlog of quite a bit of documentation. Most of it is late 60's - 70's IBM docs, with a load of misc Plessey Microsystems and a few MAI Basic Four manuals. Our goal is to eventually get it all scanned and uploaded to bitsavers (I found some threads on vcfed and classiccmp...
  9. derelictronics

Parts for 486 Build

Looking for the following for a 486 build: i486dx2/50 or Am386-40 motherboard combo & Compatible memory ISA/VLB SVGA (likely up to 2M in the case of VLB)/ATi Mach8, SBPro or SB2.0 Early 90's tower AT case (close to '92-'93 era)
  10. derelictronics

Is there list of unarchived / missing software?

As I was sorting through piles of floppy disks tonight, I got to wondering if there's a maintained list of programs that have never been archived or have gone missing over time? Side-rant: I adore archive.org for providing the service that they do. However, I'm annoyed by the lack of...
  11. derelictronics

Floppy Drive Troubleshooting

I know, this is an old topic. However, I've recently become overwhelmed with floppy failures. The basics, as I understand, is to clean the head, track 0 sensor, and head movement screw with isopropyl alcohol. After that, you're pretty much looking at attempting to re-align the head, which can...
  12. derelictronics

Twinax Adapter Cards?

Hey everyone, I just picked up an as/400 9404 and I'm looking for a way to interface with it. Ideally, I'll eventually be able to get an InfoWindow setup to use with it. In the meantime, I'm wondering if I would be able to use a Twinax PCI adapter card, like the ones linked below...
  13. derelictronics

Troubleshooting Osborne Model 1 with Screen Pac

Hey everyone, I'm troubleshooting an OCC 1/1A with a Screen Pac. I bought the Osborne to discover that it only beeps when powered on, as shown here: https://youtu.be/saELuJGk4-E My first thoughts were to replace the safety caps on the power supply board, which I did. But when that didn't make...
  14. derelictronics

IBM System/34

[This is not the same S/34 that was posted on Feb 1, 2018] I've decided to re-home my System/34 5340. It's sat, like many of my projects, disassembled in the garage for too long. I picked it up from a scrap yard a couple of years ago, where it had sat outside, on a piece of plywood, covered...
  15. derelictronics

HP DC100 Tapes

StM has about 15 blank HP DC100 tape cartridges that we no longer have a use for. All tapes are still in shrink wrap packaging. Asking $5 each + shipping from 28690. Save the Machine Computer Preservation Group | savethemachine.org
  16. derelictronics

Compaq LTE/286 Power Adapter

Would prefer to find one to buy vs attempting to wire one up myself.
  17. derelictronics

TRS-80 Model 4 Floppy Drive

I have working Model 4 base model. It came with the blanks over the floppy drive slots.
  18. derelictronics

Anything related to IBM System/34

I know, this is a long shot. I'm mainly looking for documentation and terminals. Thanks PS - I've found a lot of documentation on archive.org. However, I want to have original manuals to look through.
  19. derelictronics

Can you identify this book?

Can you identify this book? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Computer-Photo-History-DDP-116-IBM-SAGE-Altair-8800-Cray-1-ILLIAC-Kenbak-1-ENIAC-/291942783593
Back