• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. P

Anyone with "spare" P2102 chips in Australia?

Hi all, I acquired a DSE System-80 (A.K.A PMC-80 or Video Genie) and it has (at least) one dead P2102 SRAM chip. Plenty seem available . . . from the other side of the world. So before I order some from (probably) the US, I wanted to check if anyone in Aus/NZ has some they are prepared to...
  2. P

Differences (apart from clock speed) between Z80 versions?

There's several forums I could ask this in but, given it occurred putting together a CP/M machine, I thought I'd ask here. I recently built one of the variants out there of Grant Searle's CPM machine - this one in particular (why that one? Someone not too far from me had spare boards they'd...
  3. P

FreHD - a quirk with the RTC

With a slight delay due to my hi-res board throwing a hissy-fit, I finally got my FreHD auto-boot setup going on the weekend. However there's a couple of "quirks" to resolve. One is with the date. Example from yesterday; (note SYSGEN has run VHDUTIL at this stage to pull the date and time...
  4. P

CoCo - Color Basic -> Extended Color Basic

Theoretical question at the moment but . . . one of these years I will get a CoCo (along with a whole lot of other things). Quite a few I see on eBay (at least in Aus) are the Color Basic versions. How hard is it to do an upgrade to ECB? A simple case of burning a ROM and swapping, or more...
  5. P

Disassembling

My ultimate goal here is to restore an old AH game where the image on the 500-baud tape (from a still shrink-wrapped box) is bad. How bad? All the upward pulses are weak and some up/down pairs are completely below the 0 voltage. It's not too bad; only one block gives a checksum error (though...
  6. P

Model 1 Monitor behavior

Seems to be quite a few video questions ATM. I've just noticed this but I think it's been happening for a while. When the EI is connected to my M1, I get a moving pattern appearing - faintly - on the screen. The EI doesn't need to be turned on, just connected. (Turning on makes no difference...
  7. P

Model 1 Keyboard - extra characters

Sorry if this has been covered, but a quick search didn't show anything up. So I've replaced the keyboard-mainboard connector, and cleaned the keyswitches which had decided to stop working on my M1, and put everything back together. The good bit - all keys work again. The bad bit - D works a...
  8. P

Lifted pads on M1 mobo

Sigh. So I'm replacing the keyboard cable on my Model 1. I'll probably replace it with headers on each end but right now . . . the keyboard end is fine, but getting the cable off the motherboard end several pads, and 2 tracks, lifted. I'm less concerned about the two tracks - for pin 4...
  9. P

Reflections on 30 years ago

If the kind people here will indulge me for a moment . . . 'twas Easter 1987 I became 100% sure I wanted to work with computers. I spent a solid 7 hours a day over the break working on a Uni programming assignment[1]. And enjoyed it the whole way. Add that to the mark I got and it said I...
  10. P

Story behind "1500" baud decisions

Looking through TRS-80 books/articles/websites/... there seems to be a lot more information and analysis of the original 500 baud (OK, I'm ignoring the L1 300 baud here) cassette format than there is for the high speed "1500" baud format. I say "1500" as it isn't really. Given you have a single...
  11. P

Model IV 1500 baud cassette I/F problems

I have been playing with 1500 baud images on my Model IV and I think I have a hardware problem. 500 baud works fine. However 1500 doesn't. The sequence I used was (slightly long-winded I know but I wanted to avoid any simulators/non-original tools): Load a simple 500 baud program (via...
  12. P

Model 2000 - ways to get a monitor working?

I'm assuming that some people in here have/had a 2000 and experience with it; hence posting here rather than in the MS-DOS group. This has been in the back of my mind for some years, but got refreshed by some actual 2000s appearing for sale. I always wanted a model 2000 when it first came out...
  13. P

Trs80 ADC

Stumbled across an Analog-Digital Converter on eBay. Anyone ever seen/had/used something like this? My interest in such stuff started well after my TRS80 era . . . I'd be interested to know how well (or otherwise) something like this goes with the old H/W. PJH
  14. P

Model 12 and multiple drive units

Surprised no one's mentioned This guy yet. 5 different Model II disk units, and a Model 12. No bids on any of them. Anyone close enough to Virginia to go get them? (Bit far for me . . .) PJH
  15. P

RC2014 - basis for an "almost" TRS80?

Last night I came across The RC2014 Homebrew Z80 kit While it's current setup is a bit different (e.g. the ROM module only having address lines for 8K), it got me wondering. Could this be used, without heavy reworking, as the basis for a "new" TRS80. In particular the ROM-free ones such as...
  16. P

M1 with custom case

Just found on eBay this Model 1 with custom casing. My question is about the case for the base unit - reminds me of the terminal keyboards I used at Uni. Was that an (even vaguely) common conversion?
  17. P

Canon MD5201 FDD - schematics?

Hi all, Picked up a Canon MD5201 360K FDD during the week. Working fine . . . until bozo here managed to plug in the molex upside down. Clearly it didn't take kindly to 12v on the 5v line. Now, powered up (correctly) with no drive cable or disk, the drive light flickers continuously, the...
  18. P

More Floppy Woes

Sigh. I'm beginning to wonder if old floppy drives and I have irreconcilable differences . . . So the TM100-2 was working, then it wasn't. Booting fine on my Model 1 in single density. Then it just . . . stopped. Playing a bit produced no results. So I moved it over to my Model 4 as drive...
  19. P

Development Environments?

A question for those of you still writinig/modifying/updating software for TRS80s - what are you using as your development environment? Anyone still developing on the actual machines? In an emulator? Or developing on another OS completely? PJH
  20. P

Tandon TM100-2 - correct terminator and jumper settings?

I recently picked up a TM-100-2A, with a view to it being an extra external drive for the M4 &/or the M1. Purchase was partly motivated by the drive I use for the M1 (Texas Peripherals) stopping working. The drive was advertised as needing a realignment, and I'd love to get to that but . . ...
Back