• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

IBM 5170 restoration - PSU fixed, now RAM problems - SRAM replacement?

Hi all! I'm happy to learn about your interest in my work! Thank you Markus for letting me know about the revival of the thread, I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner. The IBM5170 SRAM replacement board was a very nice project, and although many details are dim to me now, I'd be glad to help...
  2. M

IBM 5170 restoration - PSU fixed, now RAM problems - SRAM replacement?

Hi everyone! If in a hurry, my questions are at the end. So I bought an old 5170 a few years back at auction, with more or less unknown condition. I recently started working on the machine, which at first was dead, and quite badly corroded. The PSU was dead, but I located a failed LM324...
  3. M

IBM 5150 failed power supply - SOLVED!

Hi everyone, So I bought a known non-working 5150 last week. As I drove home I really looked forward to some quality time trouble shooting, and man did I get just that! :) Started off with the usual visual inspection, and apart from an after market Six Pack Plus equipped with 256kB the machine...
  4. M

IBM XT 5155, XT-IDEv4, Parity Check 2 on pressing enter key - advice needed!

Thank you for suggestions! I'll test the xt-ide in a working 5160, but since I have three if the all giving this problem I do believe it's the computer. Could anyone comment on this capture of logic levels during read operation? Strobes on IOW_ISA should be DRAM refreshing (66kHz), the duplets...
  5. M

IBM XT 5155, XT-IDEv4, Parity Check 2 on pressing enter key - advice needed!

Hello and thank you all for contributing to this wonderful forum. Situation: I get Parity Check 2 error message almost every time i press the enter key, but only when system is equipped with a XT-IDEv4 and HDD. Background: I recently purchased an IBM 5155, equipped with a NIC and a 384kB RAM...
  6. M

BIOS upgrade in IBM 5160 doesn't work. Help needed!

Hi! I have an IBM 5160 with the 64-256k motherboard and the 11/08/82 BIOS. Original BIOS ROMs are labeled U18=1501512, U19=6359116. I wish to upgrade BIOS to the 05/09/86 version, but I don't own a programmer so I asked for help in a facebook group and a kind person helped me out. So I got...
  7. M

Reviving a Seagate ST-225 MFM HDD

Hi! I have a 20MB Seagate ST-225 MFM HDD acting a bit strange, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. The drive is connected to a small Western Digital controller card in a IBM 5160. I believe it's an after-market option, and also, the black cover in front of the drive is 5,25" half...
  8. M

IBM 5162 BIOS dated 1989-04-28

Hi! Yes, you are both most likely right that it can't be an official BIOS release since it isn't mentioned anywhere, but the person I bought the computer from claimed it to be made my IBM France nonetheless. Perhaps some beta version never released, is my best guess. As you both suspected the...
  9. M

IBM 5162 BIOS dated 1989-04-28

Yes, you read correctly, 1989. I recently purchased an IBM 5162 on Ebay, which not only came with 2 working Seagate ST-225s and a CPU running at 8 MHz, it also has a motherboard ROM reporting BIOS date 1989-04-28. I was told that it is a genuine IBM ROM by IBM France, and I did test that both...
Back