• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. R

IBM 5155 PSU issues

I've been trying to fix a friend's IBM 5155 PSU. When I first got it, it was completely dead, and showed no signs of life at all. I found that driver transistors Q5 and Q6, plus the main power transistors Q1 and Q2 were all blown. After replacing these, I found it kept blowing the power...
  2. R

Olivetti M15 LCD issues

Hi all. I'm currently repairing a friend's Olivetti M15 laptop. The laptop has multiple faults that I need to sort out, but the one I'm currently dealing with at the moment is the LCD display, which has a bunch of horizontal lines missing from it. I tried removing the LCD from its circuit board...
  3. R

Spectravideo SV-318 MKII issues.

Hi all. So a while ago, I bought this Spectravideo SV-318 MKII and a bunch of related tapes and accessories from a thrift store, and when I tested it, I found that while it did put out a blank composite video signal, the computer didn't do anything else apart from that. There is no keyclick...
  4. R

Alternative for video memory chip?

Already looked at the listing on AliExpress, look closely at what it says... Anyway, I found a site that sells the Fujitsu MB81464 chips Chuck mentioned, in ZIP form, so hopefully these should do the trick: https://www.utsource.net/itm/p/976184.html
  5. R

Alternative for video memory chip?

Hi all. I have a Philips LTP3230 286 laptop with VGA graphics, and one of the video memory chips appears to be faulty, as it works just fine in text mode and CGA mode, but anything higher than that results in a garbled picture. The laptop uses 8 TMS4464-12SDL ZIP-style memory chips for the video...
  6. R

Juko G7-B EGA issues

Hi all, just bought a Juko G7-B EGA/Multifunction card (As seen here: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/I-L/JUKO-LABORATORIES-LTD-Monochrome-CGA-EGA-G7-B.html) and while it seems to work perfectly in CGA mode, if I configure the jumpers for EGA mode (well, at least what I think is EGA...
  7. R

Phillips LTP3230 POST issue.

So today I picked up an old Phillips LTP3230 286 laptop from the thrift store, it's in pretty rough shape, but it does power on. However, when I turn it on, it gives a beep code (1 long and 3 short, as far as I can tell) the display does come on though, and it goes through the memory test, and...
  8. R

How do I make my monitor smell better?

Ok, I realize that this is probably one of the weirdest titles for a forum thread ever, but this is a genuine problem I'm having. I have an IBM 5154 EGA monitor, and ever since I bought it, it has produced this foul smell when it reaches full temperature, it was so bad initially, that it would...
  9. R

Compaq Contura Aero 4/33C display cable needed

Hi all. The display ribbon cable in my Compaq Contura Aero 4/33C has split, and I need a replacement. Anybody have a spare they'd be willing to sell for a decent price? I've asked on two facebook groups and have gotten no response yet. This laptop was a gift from a friend and was in perfect...
  10. R

Sound blaster audio only coming from one channel

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this (Mods, feel free to move it if it isn't), anyway, I have a Sound Blaster CT2910 (non-PNP card) that used to be working fine, until the audio stopped coming from the right channel. If I turn the volume up to max, I can faintly hear sound from...
  11. R

Putting two hard drives in an IBM 5150

Hi all. I have two Seagate ST225 MFM drives, one of which is currently in my IBM 5150, the other is not in use at the moment. I've been thinking of installing both of them in the IBM PC, just for shits and giggles. But my concern is, will two of these drives stacked on top of each other generate...
  12. R

EGA Card color problems

Hi all, I have an old EGA card that I want to put in my IBM 5150, but I've noticed it has trouble displaying certain colors correctly, here is a picture of it displaying a simple color test: http://imgur.com/WVeqBoC If you look closely, you'll see that color 12 (bright red) is more of a maroon...
  13. R

EGA/Serial combo card problem.

Hi all, I have the following card installed in my 286: http://old.vgamuseum.info/component/content/article/637-chipsatechnologies-p82c434p82c431.html And I'm having trouble with the on-board serial controller, the EGA card itself functions just fine, but the built-in 9 pin serial port on the...
Back