• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. W

My Gateway 2000 P5-120 is stuck at 90MHz. What setting fixes it?

Your Jumpers and Switches are Likely Incorrectly Set. The Gateway P5-120 or Intel Technical Product Summery manuals should resolve. I assume you have the Baby AT form factor installed in this Computer Case. APPENDIX B : Page 15 —> Switch 6, ON; (Switch setting for 120 MHz) Switches 7 and 8 —>...
  2. W

Acculogic side-1/16

J2A : 40-pin IDE connector (assume correct insertion J4 : 5-pin connector, DC Power W1 : BIOS Address (C800h or CA00h) W2 : I/O Port Address (320h or 324h) W3 : Interrupt Request (IRQ5 or IRQ2*) The AccuLogic sIDE-1 controller has an on-board low-level format program. To enter the program, run...
  3. W

Most advanced BIOS that works on a IBM 5150 to support the cassette interface

MTM Scientific (Clinton, Michigan USA) would be a good resource. https://www.mtmscientific.com/pc-retro.html Reverse engineering the original IBM 5150 (5-slot, ISA) motherboard was a substantial undertaking, as we found some differences between the 'official' circuit diagrams and actual board...
  4. W

The IBM desktop that won't open.

The Damaged Lock (Open) might have NOT disengaged the inner metal chassis. IBM PS/ValuePoint (1992-1995) Computers You have the “Tower” form factor (/T suffix). http://ps-2.kev009.com/psref/vpbook.pdf IBM PS/ValuePoint Hardware Maintenance Manual, September 1993...
  5. W

Anyone encountered this? Siemens ROLM 98d5192 386DX

SIEMENS (ROLM Systems) UM386-R 80386 Motherboards were the Planar Boards for the ROLM Voice Mail System. The motherboard you have (UM386-R) was from Replacement (Upgrade) Inventory, many NOS. After IBM purchased ROLM (1984), the “new” ROLM Voice Mail System used IBM AT motherboards. I believe...
  6. W

Will an AT or Baby AT board mount in an IBM 5160?

NOT All Baby AT motherboards will fit into the IBM 5160 metal case. Those that are an ~ 1 inch longer than the IBM-XT motherboard will hit a metal case support for the Left Drive Bay. That piece of metal is bent down from drive bay and “Spot welded” to XT case bottom. Check dimensions before...
  7. W

Unpopulated S100 stuff at Anchor Electronics

Which size ? 22-Slot ?
  8. W

Help LOMAC LM-25 A S-100 Desk Computer

Yes, I saw these on eBay recently. Not the best place for Vintage Computing, Shipping/Logistics expensive (and Damage frequently occurs). gb
  9. W

32-sector 8" Floppy Disk - 3M 740-32

Yes, there was a couple different 3 inch formats (Sony pushed one in Japan, a couple of years). Tandy and NCR … jumped on the 5.25” QD/DS drives … by 1984 IBM AT introduced HD/DS that killed it. There was also the LS120 … that 3M pushed, but died by end of 1990s
  10. W

IBM PC screws

Yes, worked for an IBM, Apple, HP, Novell, 3Com dealer (3 years early ‘80s when in graduate college). Fortunately, I was not on the Delta flight at DFW, that wiped out key IBM Boca talent. That era now seems more like a dream today (Gates, Jobs, Noorda, Metcalfe, John Young).
  11. W

3M did make floppies for every 8 inch drive type, till early 1980s. PAGES 21 and 22 of the 1983 3M Catalog, that I previously posted — should answer your question. For the special 5.25 inch drive requirements (hard sector, etc.) — it largely depended on manufacturers (and market size). 3M was a...
  12. W

IBM PC screws

Chuck, I have Boxes of the HP/Compaq Torx screws (which I prefer to use) AND McMaster-Carr HQ is only 1/2-mile from me (Pick-Up window to acres of parts). — BUT, as DDS noted … I sometimes get purists (former-IBM employees) … and I have seen antique/restoration judging (audio speakers, antique...
  13. W

SUN SparcStation 2 memory issue?

Known NVRAM issue (internal battery dead) … NO NOT THROW OUT RAM. Several YouTube DIY and external battery approaches to address. Glitchworks (Virginia, USA) has nice solution (and Sun notes). https://users.glitchwrks.com/~glitch/sun.html Making a crystal/battery replacement module for the...
  14. W

IBM PC screws

Chuck, I do not know what you are objecting to, since you REPEATED what I noted. The Five (5) Cover screws were different from the 3/16” Hex washer head, used for the expansion slot panels and through out the IBM 5150, 5160, 5162, 5170 PC case for other attachments. That screw was also used in...
  15. W

IBM PC screws

About 35 years ago, our purchasing agent (IBM PC dealer) tracked down the OEM supplier to IBM — so he bought 1 or 2 boxes of 100 (our service techs were sloppy in losing genuine screws). 6-32 thread; 3/8” length; Hex Washer Head, Slotted Hex Head for 1/4” drive (standard for #6 screw) The OEM...
  16. W

Mike has covered the 8” floppy drive information. I have attached the 1983 3M Diskette Reference Manual. Required Primer for newcomers to 1970s and 1980s Computer Media for Floppy Drives. Greg
  17. W

Corvus Hard Drive Interface

Corvus Service Manual http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/corvus/service/7100-04703_B-Drive_6MB_Service_Jun83.pdf Corvus made hard drive interface cards for numerous computers, including S-100 systems. Yes, IMI was the hard drive manufacturer, that Corvus used. They later bought out IMI...
  18. W

IBM PC/AT 5170 and IBM XENIX

I installed IBM AT, model 5170 (w/o hard drive) as a SCO Xenix or IBM Xenix server in 1985/1986. Back then, I worked with CSC Minneapolis (before Seagate bought out their Hard Drive division) to acquire one of their 40 MB hard drives (~ $1000 I think) and used Type 15 to “enter in” the heads and...
  19. W

IBM 5150 motherboard revisions

MTM Scientific (Clinton, Michigan) , Michael Mruzek president will have additional IBM PC 5150 (5-slot) Retro Kits, as well as bare motherboards (V3, 256K), available for ordering by April 2022. Useful upgrade path for an Early version or Dead IBM PC 5150 motherboards...
  20. W

Photos of HP 13270-60003 Cable

I am looking for clear photos of the HP 13270-60003 cable and terminations (card edge connector & hood). The HP 13270-60003 cable (1.2m) was used to connect HP 264x terminals to its 5.25” floppy drive (HP 13272A Flexible Disk System). The Cable’s Connector is a 40-pin Card Edge Connector, like...
Back