• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PC screws

The screws IBM supplied were not serrated although the ones on many clones were. But apparently Fastener Superstore only offers the 3/16" head on the serrated head screws. The washer head screws they offer have the more common 1/4" head. That's fine for the #8's on the case. The #6's inside the case are the issue.

Here they are in stainless:

http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/products/310851/machine-screws?pid=17315

http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/products/311544/machine-screws?pid=17315

Plus the minimum quantity appears to be a carton of 5000 screws. Might be back to buying a banged up case somewhere & use it as a screw donor.

Group buy anyone? :)

The second part of the question does not compute. The large ones go in the large holes (5) and the small ones go in the small holes (power supply, card brackets, floppy drives, speaker bracket, motherboard.)

No it doesn't. I mistakenly thought we were saying that both the small and large screws were uses on the back for the case. It makes since that the case screws are not serrated to avoid damaging the paint.

... to avoid damaging the paint.
True, and on my examples I use nylon washers as well under the cover screws which could also be a way of being able to use the serrated version of the aftermarket fastener.

It's just a matter of the slots. Perhaps someone could look at Chinese sources - the minimum order quantity may be higher but the unit cost will be far lower, and you can have exactly the configuration you want.

About 35 years ago, our purchasing agent (IBM PC dealer) tracked down the OEM supplier to IBM — so he bought 1 or 2 boxes of 100 (our service techs were sloppy in losing genuine screws).

6-32 thread; 3/8” length;
Hex Washer Head, Slotted
Hex Head for 1/4” drive (standard for #6 screw)
The OEM screw used by IBM used a 3/16” head (used on #5, #4 screws)
https://www.fastener superstore.com/products/310851/machine-screws?pid=18586

Hex Head Dimensions (standard)
3/16” hex head : used on #5, #4 screws.
1/4” hex head : used on #6 screws

greg
chicago

BTW, Fastener Superstore is HQ in Downers Grove, IL
Maybe a visit during VCF Midwest ?

Last edited:
No! At least on the 5150, the 6-32 case screws used 3/16" heads. I still have a couple. I'm sure that others can verify. Haven't we been through this, what 7 or 8 years ago, if not earlier?
It's that 3/16" washer head+6-32 combo that makes them hard to find.

The old link stil works but you'll have to buy 10,000 of them.

Last edited:
No! At least on the 5150, the 6-32 case screws used 3/16" heads. I still have a couple. I'm sure that others can verify. Haven't we been through this, what 7 or 8 years ago, if not earlier?

Chuck,
I do not know what you are objecting to, since you REPEATED what I noted.
The Five (5) Cover screws were different from the 3/16” Hex washer head, used for the
expansion slot panels and through out the IBM 5150, 5160, 5162, 5170 PC case for other attachments.
That screw was also used in other IBM products in the 1980.

”The OEM screw used by IBM used a 3/16” hex washer, slotted head (used on #5, #4 screws) for 6-32 screws.

Your referenced supplier, is NOT the “Slotted” version (permitting screwdriver or Hex Nut driver).
==
greg
chicago

Not only did we, but this thread IS from 2015.

The subject has pretty well been beaten to death in more than one thread on this site and others.

I once saw a man practically in tears because the fabric used to make the re-pop seat covers in his 1953 Corvette had the wrong thread count. A judge dinged him enough points to cost him the blue ribbon in a "concours d'elegance."

I hope to be long gone before this hobby descends to that level of madness.

;-)

Personally, if this were my machine, I'd replace them all with cheese-head Torx screws. But then, I use the hardware, not for collection--authenticity doesn't matter to me. :)

Personally, if this were my machine, I'd replace them all with cheese-head Torx screws. But then, I use the hardware, not for collection--authenticity doesn't matter to me. :)
Chuck,
I have Boxes of the HP/Compaq Torx screws (which I prefer to use) AND
McMaster-Carr HQ is only 1/2-mile from me (Pick-Up window to acres of parts).

BUT, as DDS noted … I sometimes get purists (former-IBM employees) …
and I have seen antique/restoration judging (audio speakers, antique radio receivers) where the
wrong Grill cloth or thread count was penalized !!
We are already at the Madness Level … Amazon Return Scammers are the Latest Fed for Free parts.

greg
chicago

Greg, the problem with purists is that their wetware isn't vintage also. :) For example, I see a heavy emphasis on PC gaming, which really was only a back alley in the day. Word processing, accounting/spreadsheet and database made up the bulk of applications.

Greg, the problem with purists is that their wetware isn't vintage also. :) For example, I see a heavy emphasis on PC gaming, which really was only a back alley in the day. Word processing, accounting/spreadsheet and database made up the bulk of applications.
Yes, worked for an IBM, Apple, HP, Novell, 3Com dealer (3 years early ‘80s when in graduate college).
Fortunately, I was not on the Delta flight at DFW, that wiped out key IBM Boca talent.
That era now seems more like a dream today (Gates, Jobs, Noorda, Metcalfe, John Young).

Thats because you all have 12 fingers
Yes, I know, unlike you UKans who measure weight in stone, one stone is what? 6.35029 kg - a nice round number--and you order your beer in 568.261 ml sizes. We here in the US haven't sold distilled spirits by the fifth for ages--it's all 750 ml. now.

Its daft in the UK as well

I think in thou then mm then inches, then feet, then meters, then miles and ml then pints or litres then gallons.

While I was born before decimalisation and do remember the coins, they were gone before I started spending however in industry everything installed was imperial and everything new was metric. Working on cars, a mix of imperial and metric all on one car. My socket set is whitworth, unc, mm, all the spanners I was issued with at work are imperial.

A right mess. Still I am glad I dont have to add up in 12th's anymore.

Your British gallon is an interloper; adopted in 1824. The US is still using Queen Anne's gallon of 1707. At least we have tradition on our side.

Back