• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

What is a "Profile post"?

I was checking out the "What's new" section and after scrolling down came across "Profile Posts". What are these Profile Posts? How are they created? Seaken
  2. S

Can I use this power supply with Kaypro 2 (1983)?

Following this thread https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/kaypro-ii-power-supply-ratings.37215/ I learned that I can buy a Mean-Well RT-85B power supply to replace my Aztec power supply in my Kaypro 2 from 1983 (I have the Kaypro 2 that was a rename of the Kaypro II and uses the...
  3. S

The green has invaded from a Varta battery

This morning I was digging out some stuff for my North Star Advantage that I am restoring and I found a 286 motherboard in a box. Unfortunately the Varta battery was still attached and there is green all over the board. I cut off the battery and have been thinking about how I might try to save...
  4. S

IBM 5162 (XT/286) hanging on boot

Hello all, A couple of weeks ago I turned on my 5162 and it didn't boot. I thought at first it was the RLL hard drive since normally when I turn this machine on the C: drive boots up to DOS 3.3. But I don't think it's the RLL hard drive after pulling it out and putting it on my work bench this...
  5. S

Thank You to the VCF East organizers and volunteers!

Are there any of the organizers or volunteers for the VCF East on the forum? I would like to say "Thank You" for a great job. I had a very good time at the Exhibits, Talks, Roundtables and The Conginment. Yes, it got a little crazy there for a while on Saturday but overall it was a good...
  6. S

Backing up Compact Flash cards and copying files between old and modern

Hello all, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has come across this problem. But, to my surprise, when I put the CF card into my modern Windows 10 machine, which has a built-in media reader on the front panel, the CF card would not read. I think this is because this Windows 10 machine started out...
  7. S

Would Macintosh 12" RGB work on an Apple IIe with RGB card?

I have this Macintosh 12" RGB Display Family Number M1299. But I have yet to find anything in my collection that will use it. It was made for Mac LC or IIsi. But in one of the documents I was reading it mentioned that is works with an Apple IIe card in the LC. Is there any chance this monitor...
  8. S

Burned traces and label on ISA XT CF adapter

In another thread I was working on setting up a CF card on my Tandy 1000HD. With the forums help I was able to get that computer successfully working with a CF card as the new hard drive. I ended up purchasing two different XT CF adapters because the first one I bought took up two slots and I...
  9. S

IBM 5151 Mono Monitor Partially Working?

I have had this IBM Model 5151 monitor for several years. I don't think I got it with an IBM system, it was on it's own. It seems to be partially working, in that I get some green display when I turn the brightness knob up. But when I boot the PC it does not display any characters. The end of...
  10. S

CF to IDE on my Tandy 1000HD

I've been doing lot's of reading here and I am following another users thread on a similar topic. But I want to stop hijacking their thread and I still have more questions. I think I am close to uderstanding and @twolazy, @Trixter , and @CloudInMyHead have given me some good sources. I am...
  11. S

I finally got around to playing with my Apple IIs.

I've had two Apple II's for a few years but I never got around to playing with them much (I tend to spend my time on old MS-DOS/PC stuff). But I had been reading some threads here from others who were setting up some Apple IIs and I decided to get them out and start learning more about them...
  12. S

Backup battery and Main battery for Tandy 1400FD

I have an old Tandy 1400FD that has dead batteries. This was the first computer I ever purchased for myself. I think I got it about 1988? It has been sitting in it's bag unused for several years. Both the main 4-cell battery pack and the RTC backup battery are dead. I was able to get some...
  13. S

Multiple Motherboards/System Boards

I'm just curious how some of you folks handle your using multiple system boards. Do you have a customize "case", or build unit, where you swap in the motherboard, power supply, video and sound cards, etc. And then run it until you want to test out another system board? Then you take it apart and...
  14. S

Successfully Upgraded 286 to 486

Successfully Upgraded 286 to 486 I had been trying to repair an old MicroLab 286 that had battery damage on the motherboard. I made some progress cleaning it up but I ended up hitting a wall with my skill level and I abandoned that motherboard. So, I was looking at what I could do to replace...
  15. S

Refurbishing old VIP 286 I bought for my parents in late 80's

I have been struggling on a refurbish of a MicroLab 286 that I had in my collection but had never tried to get working. That computer ended up with a bad battery corrosion episode and I have so far been unsuccessful in getting it working. I have been getting some hlep with that over here...
  16. S

Struggling to identify motherboard. No manual.

I am trying to see if I can resurrect this old 286 motherboard. It had a battery leak and lots of corrosion. I got help from this forum on how to get rid of the corrosion here: https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/how-do-i-get-the-battery-corrosion-completely-neutralized.1239025/ But...
  17. S

How do I get the battery corrosion completely neutralized?

I have been working a couple old 80286 motherboards where the Varta battery has leaked and caused some corrosion on the motherboard. I am using some white vinegar to neutralize the battery corrosion and then cleaning with water and isopropyl alchohol. I have done this a few times and it has...
  18. S

Can I leave the battery off on 8088 and 80286 systems?

I 've watched a few videos where the Varta battery is cut off the motherboard of an 8088 or 80286. As far as I can tell it is okay to leave the battery off. I will just have to enter the date and time when the OS starts up. Is that correct? Can I leave the motherboard without a battery? Seaken
  19. S

Some of my collection is Vintage

I just walked around my basement and counted more than 60 computers. Some are not working. Most are. Most are not vintage. Some of them are. Here's the systems I think most here would say are "vintage": (I am in the process of cataloging all this and for now this is from memory) Atari 800...
  20. S

Hello from upstate NY

Happy to have found this nice forum. I've read all the stickies and think you've done a very nice job setting this place up. I go back as far as dialing in to BBS systems to learn all I could about CP/M. That was in about 1987. Yes, I came late to the game. I was born in Seattle, WA in 1964 and...
Back