• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. retrobecanes

Commodore VIC-20 color going in and out

The color on my VIC-20 is going in and out, I adjusted C3 to regain it but it is not stable and a little finger pressure on C3 is enough to affect the color. Now when I turn the VIC-20 on, it has color but then I played with the computer for 10 minutes and it goes to black and white. I turn the...
  2. retrobecanes

Newbie questions about the Northstar Advantage 8/16

I received a Northstar Advantage 8/16 today with plenty of original documentation and software. The computer, although a bit dusty inside and out, still looks great. When I turn on the computer, it powers up, beeps, and displays "LOAD SYSTEM" on the monitor. The foam keypads are shot so the...
  3. retrobecanes

Issue with Mac 128

I am looking for assistance with a Mac 128K. At start up I get the « bong » but it’s followed by a repetitive « flup, flup, flup » sounds and nothing on the screen. The analog board works as I have used it with another logic board (Mac Plus). Hence I believe that the problem is with the logic...
  4. retrobecanes

Differences in height of characters on a TRS-80 Model 16

The height of the rows of characters on the screen seem to be the smallest at the top of the screen and it increases with each successive row down to the bottom of the screen. As a result the characters at the top are a lot shorter than the characters at the bottom of the screen. What can I do...
  5. retrobecanes

TRS-80 Model 16 and Lotharek

My Model 16 has two defective 8" drives so I am trying to connect its FDC board directly to a Lotharek SD emulator via a 50 pin to 36 pin 8" floppy disk Shugart interface adapter. See attached image on how I configured the jumpers. I have downloaded different images from...
  6. retrobecanes

The South Franklin ACE 1000 badge

I am looking for a replacement hood badge for a Franklin ACE 1000.
  7. retrobecanes

Other US Areas Lever for Tandon TM848 8" drive

Hi I am looking for a replacement lever (original or 3D file) for my 8" Tandon TM848.
  8. retrobecanes

Kaypro 2 won’t write or format

My Kaypro drive reads the directory and loads/runs programs but it will not write to disk or format a disk. It comes up with bad sector errors, etc. What could this be?
  9. retrobecanes

Drive issues with a Kaypro 4

I have a KayPro 4 equipped with a single Epson SD-521 drive (the other one doesn't work and was removed). Drive A boots disks and loads/runs programs but spins continuously even after those successful operations (drive light stays on at all times as well). What can this be due to?
  10. retrobecanes

Drive error with Kaypro 4

I am getting this error when trying to read disks from drive B (Drive A works). Formatting on B also eventually fails and does not complete. I suspect an alignment issue. Any recommendation as to troubleshooting steps?
  11. retrobecanes

Upgrading a TRS-80 Model 1 level 1 to level 2

Hello group, I have a TRS-80 Model 1 Level 1 that I recently upgraded from 4K to 16K. As I have an expansion interface and a disk drive, I would like to upgrade my system to Level 2 to make use of those peripherals. My Model 1 has the "G" model motherboard. What are my options for upgrading...
  12. retrobecanes

Issues with TRS-80 model 1 - garbage on screen

All of a sudden my Model 1 gives me the attached screen. Even if I remove the cpu, the RAM and the ROMs, the screen stays the same, it just gets a bit dimmer. The voltages are all okay. The computer doesn’t respond to the reset button and typing on the keyboard doesn’t change anything on the...
  13. retrobecanes

Model 1 weak contrast on monitor

My Model 1 monitor has weak character contrast even at its max level. I have to increase brightness significantly to see the characters on the screen. When I load a program from tape the characters dim to the point of being barely visible. I have cleaned the contrast and brightness pots with...
  14. retrobecanes

KayPro video issues

My KayPro is giving me only a very thin line in the middle of the screen when it turns on, as if the prompt to insert a disk in drive A was completely crushed. But despite that I can see part of that line that blinks (where the cusor awaits). I have tried to adjust the image with the different...
  15. retrobecanes

Strange video artifact with my Commodore 8296

My Commodore 8296 is showing a weird video artifact that I would describe as a 'shimmering' of the characters on the screen. It is as if there was noise on the sync signal. I have replaced UC5 but to no effect.
  16. retrobecanes

Upgrading ROM in a KayPro 2/84

My KayPro 2/84 currently has a 81-292 ROM onboard. Are there any advantages to upgrading to another ROM version and if so which one? Where can source files be found and what model EPROM should I use for the replacement? Thanks!
  17. retrobecanes

Issues reading disks on Kaypro 2/84

My recently acquired Kaypro 2/84 doesn't seem to be able to read disks, where they are from the two original disk drives or from a Lotharek SD Floppy emulator. In both cases, I just see the message to enter a floppy in disk A. The physical drives spins, the head sometimes moves a little but...
  18. retrobecanes

Dead Commodore 8296

My Commodore 8296 suddenly stopped working. No Chirp at bootup, nothing on the screen. I checked the voltage at the transformer level and at the board level and all seem correct. I have also swapped the 6502 CPU but that didn't change anything. I am suspecting the PLAs at locations UE5 and...
  19. retrobecanes

WTB: Franklin ACE 100

Please contact me if you have one for sale or trade
  20. retrobecanes

Franklin ACE 1200 and the Dual Interface card

I am trying to use my Franklin ACE 1200 and its dual interface card to connect to a WiModem232. I have been trying to use ASCII Express as a communications software but I don't believe that it supports the dual interface card. Is anyone aware of a communications software that would work with...
Back