• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

Tandon TM100-2 360K diskette drive Spindle Motor Shorted

Just an update for those wanting to get a new spindle motor.. I have find a source for this motor in New Zealand. Alan from Casamodularsystems i.e. here.. has been very helpful and I managed to order and receive 3 spindle motors for the Tandon TM100 series.. Alan tells me he has more, plus...
  2. S

Thanks, I've checked the commutator and I can't see any dirt or shorts in there.. I've scrutinized the motor under a microscope and I can't spot anywhere where it might have overheated. It looks perfectly normal to me.. Measuring between the commutators gives around 4-5 ohms, which should be...
  3. S

Hi, yes I took it all apart and then measured across each commuter and they all measured short, or I should say about 8 ohms. Didn't matter which one to which one.. When looking at it, it doesn't look like it has any meltdown in the windings.. I haven't put it under a microscope yet, but I...
  4. S

IBM processor board from 1982

This card is from a 3274 SNA controller.. I've dug up the manual and it's the E2 card which is called the control Logic.. It even has a ROS (Read Only Storage) chip which can be replaced.. Just a few phtos from the 3274 manual.. (This manual is a later revision so the p/n would have...
  5. S

I've been restoring an Australian made IBM 5150 PC and recording my progress on youtube. In the second episode I discovered that one of the tow TM100-2 360K diskette drive has a shorted spindle motor. See here: Just wondering if anyone knows where one can obtain a similar DC motor that is...
  6. S

TRS-80 Model 1 NTSC vs PAL

Hi, I'm in the process of restoring a TRS-80 Model 1 unit I've had for over 20 years here in Australia. It was donated to me and I've had it in storage along with a few other goodies from the 80's. When I finally got to opening it up and checking it out, it of course has the curse of faulty...
  7. S

IBM PC AT (5170) Type 3 Mobo - Dead

Well, never one for not trying! I de-soldered the 8254 from the AT Motherboard and installed a socket. I then put the 8253 into the socket and ran the Landmark tests again! I suspected they would fail and guess what, they did, all of them!.. All timer tests failed on the AT board with the...
  8. S

IBM PC AT (5170) Type 3 Mobo - Dead

Hi everyone! I have been working on a 5170 Type 3 Motherboard. I of course want it operational! The setup on my bench! When powered up with a CGA card it was dead. One of these ISA post error cards showed an error of 9001, which indicated a Ram Refresh error. I then proceeded to burn and...
  9. S

Benchmarking vintage computers against modern computers and mobile phones

I ran the basic program on my IBM PC JX and it took 360 seconds to run!
  10. S

Hi all, Thanks for your input.. It has given me some food for thought.. I'm not very good at coding, I'm more an electronics hw guy! When looking back at benchmarks for vintage computers I found this list of Dhrystone benchmarks for many systems.. See here. I also found this Dhrystone...
  11. S

Hi everyone, I like many of you have some old vintage computers, Tandy TRS80 Model 1, Apple IIe, IBM PC, XT. AT, PS/2's etc, well into the 90's. I'm planning to organize a vintage computer show sometime in the future for charity fund raising. One of the things I'm hoping to achieve is to have...
  12. S

IBM PC JX history and background

Hi everyone, I've finally managed to dump a lot of the information I've been reading on the IBM PC JX computer, which appeared in Japan in the mid 1980's. I decided to do a video on it where I talk about the history and provide some background on it's creation. I also show one of the ones I...
  13. S

Commodore 64 broken key's, how to fix!

Hi, I've finally fixed two broken keystems on my Commodore 64. I was worried I would have to acquire new/old keystems, but managed to extract the broken plastic and use JB Weld to get it together again.. So here is the process I went through..
  14. S

Commodore 64 Power supply characterization

Well, I hooked the system board up to my power supply along with the AC volt from the power pack. I then tapped into the AV and Audio out and hooked into an LCD TV I have.. Soldered to the underside of the board where the AV connector is located.. When I powered up the board, the LCD monitor...
  15. S

Commodore 64 Power supply characterization

Hi all, I found at the back of my vintage computer collection a Commodore 64 console. It has the 251137 Rev.B motherboard.. I also found the power supply that came originally with it. I decided to check the power supply first, so it wouldn't blow up the console if it was faulty. This is the...
  16. S

IBM 5153 CGA Monitor with a loss of Horizontal Sync

I've had this IBM 5153 CGA monitor for a long time. I think I checked it last about 10 years ago. It had a sticker on it saying "Works, OK". So, when I finally pulled out one of my IBM PC XT machines and got it working, I decided to hook up this 5153 Monitor to the non-IBM CGA card in the XT...
  17. S

Ibm pc jx

I have finally dug out a couple of these JX machines. One is a single unit with 256Kb ram and one 3.5 floppy. It has a very old bios rom i.e. 8527K1.. So it only supports 360Kb floppies. The other has the expansion unit, but only has 128Kb ram with one 3.5 floppy in the main unit and one...
  18. S

Compaq Portable III 286 with SD IDE card

I had fixed up the old Compaq Portable III 286 computer. It did have a 20.1MB Conner drive, which decided to give up the ghost the other day. So I decided to install an SD IDE Hard Disk Drive Adapter. My initial issue was how I would mount it and make it available from the outside. As luck...
  19. S

Compaq Portable III 286 repair

Time to update on progress! Time to update on progress! I finally got a battery to replace the battery on the motherboard. I got a 1.6AH 3.6V Lithium battery I was planning to mount on the motherboard, but it was too high and would have interfered with the shield. So, I decided to put a...
  20. S

IBM PS/2 Model 80 floppy calbe

PS80 Photos PS80 Photos Hi there.. I have two PS/80's and they are different.. The first one is 8580-321 or a a 80-386, it has the following cable.. The front of the drive Overview photo One side Other side Closeup Motherboard end Closeup Floppy end Closeup mother board end...
Back