• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PC JX history and background

simmiv

Hi everyone,
I've finally managed to dump a lot of the information I've been reading on the IBM PC JX computer, which appeared in Japan in the mid 1980's. I decided to do a video on it where I talk about the history and provide some background on it's creation. I also show one of the ones I have. I'm planning to follow this up with a tear down, so if you want to know about the IBM PC JX, take a look..

Great video!

I really want to try and get one of those to add to my collection, but I suspect doing so may turn out to be a bit of a challenge.

Great video!

I really want to try and get one of those to add to my collection, but I suspect doing so may turn out to be a bit of a challenge.

I think "a bit of a challenge" is an understatement. :D Our market is small and JX's rarely come up for sale. Expect to pay top dollar too if one does eventually appear as they usually fetch a high price (much like a lot of retro gear does these days down here).

Hi,
These do pop up from time to time on Yahoo auctions in Japan. There is no ebay version in Japan and Yahoo auctions are all in Japanese.. You can use Buyee to search for IBM JX and they offer multiple languages and I gather postage and handling.. I have never used them, but a few weeks back there was a JX for sale. One thing to note that If you buy a Japanese one, you will require the "English Cartridge" as well, as it needs to boot from that into English mode. There is a possibility that a ROM from the Australian/NZ version might work as well. The other options is if someone in Aus/NZ is willing to part with one!
Rgds,
Simmi

Back