• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. seat safety switch

Desoldering technique

Desoldering needles might be a good intermediate step here. They are essentially hollow needles that solder won't stick to. You heat up the joint with your regular iron, liquefy the solder, and then pop the needle over the leg and pull it. I've used them to pull/push legs on caps and resistors...
  2. seat safety switch

Brother Super Power Note PN-8500MDS

Yeah, David Given who did that video up above also has an open-sourced 8080/Z80 CP/M-alike (cpmish) that includes a decent porting guide to write BIOSes for new hardware. Listed as compatible, though they may be stale: the Brother PN-8510MDS SuperPowerNote laptop (and probably others) the...
  3. seat safety switch

Did MacOS ever have any sort of scripting ability?

DeBabelizer was popular for batch conversion, but AppleScript or Frontier might be a good scripting solution. The immortal GraphicConverter would be good for images, but I doubt it handles Persuasion or PDF.
  4. seat safety switch

Searching for NEC PC-8001A software & hardware

The parts of the BOM appear to be in this section of the readme at the root of the repository. The heading "部品" roughly translates to "parts." Note that version 1.4 (the Gerber I linked you to earlier) requires an additional connector at J5 which is described later in that section; don't miss...
  5. seat safety switch

Assuming this is the latest version, they have provided a zip of the Gerber files here: https://github.com/yanataka60/PC-8001_SD/tree/main/Kicad1_4/PCB (last file in the listing.) Usually I put my gerbers in the "Releases" section on GitHub but this also has confused folks in the past, so maybe...
  6. seat safety switch

I was curious too. As far as I can tell, I think CMT stands for "cassette magnetic tape" in the Japanese hobbyist community. It might be a holdover from some marketing term, although you would think they'd use a Japanese-style acronym. I still get DINs backward even when I have a photo...
  7. seat safety switch

The PC-8001B manual on Archive.org has a whole section about how to use the terminal system, which I found useful to read since I don't have a manual of any kind! Starts here: https://archive.org/details/pc-8001b-micro-computer-users-manual-nec-en-1981/page/n54/mode/1up Thank you to ksinfos for...
  8. seat safety switch

ZX81 Speak & Spell "Talk can be Cheap" Software (ZX-Speak)

Can you type it in on an emulator and save it to a WAV? I don't know enough about the zx81/ts1000 to say, but I think you're supposed to put the assembled machine language from the second page into the area left in the BASIC program between lines 1 and 1000. Usually in Microsoft BASICs you do...
  9. seat safety switch

Another ebay horror story.

Ugh, that sucks. The mkIISR case is pretty stout, though, so hopefully it survived. It is worth a check inside; I would assume the power supply and floppy drives protected the bulk of the machine and the thin sheet metal at the front crumpled if anything. Even though it seems like most of the...
  10. seat safety switch

Looking for Sharp WD-615 OS/software

Most of the word processors I've owned have needed a recovery/emergency/auxiliary disk to format the internal memory when the battery goes flat (check the battery for leakage.) No luck finding the disks, but Japanese Mercari has the WD-610/WD-615 owners' manual for sale...
  11. seat safety switch

Repairing aging plastics

It's not just cord burn on the plastics, either :( On the (Japanese; American seems to dodge this so far) NEC PC-6001, the cord plasticizer leaches inside the machine and corrodes the contacts of the power switch and wall plug. I'm currently rewiring one after desoldering the switch and...
  12. seat safety switch

Repairing aging plastics

I saw this great article about a museum conserving East German plastic items. They were extremely bold in what they were making out of plastic: https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/east-german-plastics-preservation
  13. seat safety switch

Does a DRAM cross reference exist?

I've also used the PCBJunkie page on RAM cross reference: http://pcbjunkie.net/index.php/resources/ram-info-and-cross-reference-page/
  14. seat safety switch

Capacitor issues outside of home computers.

I got stranded with my '92 Civic at one point and it turned out to be the main bypass cap having leaked through a supply trace of the ECU. Easy fix, but unexpected. Lots of the others were bad too. Might not have been the caps' fault, as the previous owner mentioned that he went through a...
  15. seat safety switch

Homebrew 8085 sbc w wooden jig

Cool machine! There is a "Home Brew Computing" group near the very bottom of the forums listing, although it's mostly the people making new homebrews instead of enjoying historical ones. The groups in general seem to be pretty rarely visited, so please feel free to spice things up around there!
  16. seat safety switch

Tracing a vintage PCB in KiCAD

I'd also rather spend a few dozen hours in KiCad chasing traces and have the benefit of the DRC and "figure out for me where this net goes," than to do a bazillion drills for a photoresist board. You can always print it after if you so wish :) That said, blowing it up really large and marking...
  17. seat safety switch

NEC Multisync 3D with Non-VGA Adapters

Doing an update here since I can't edit my original post. The problem turned out to be that I had to tie the shields of the connectors together. Usually you can "get away with it" with VGA monitors, but the MultiSync is not truly a VGA monitor. You can grab the adapter on my GitHub here, if...
  18. seat safety switch

Cheap composite monitor

I have one of those 4.3" backup-camera LCDs and it seems to be really picky about sync. The 7" seems to be a whole different product. A lot of sources (Sega Genesis and anything TMS99xx-based) make it roll constantly and obviously then also can't get colour. Newer stuff is no problem: an Xbox...
  19. seat safety switch

Who knows something about the old NEC PC-6001A around here?

You might be able to put them side by side in an audio editor like Audacity and see if it's an obviously visible difference there.
  20. seat safety switch

Who knows something about the old NEC PC-6001A around here?

Glad it's working! I just got a Japanese tape player peripheral as part of a lot, so I'm excited about doing it from real tapes in the future. The Japanese dump list editor tool has an option for inverting polarity, as well as a bunch of other tweaks for dealing with wonky tape dumps...
Back