• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Taffer

What is this? Post Photos of Mystery Items Here (vintage computers only)

I found an interesting IBM PC accessory, pictures in link below. Maybe I should have posted here instead of as it's own topic... https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/anex-mat-1-multi-user-workstation-expansion-unit-for-pc.1248098/
  2. Taffer

Anex MAT-1 Multi User Workstation Expansion Unit for PC

Unfortunately, he's asking $200 and an hour's drive, so even as obsessed as I am with IBM PCs I'm hesitant unless this has some interesting function.
  3. Taffer

Anex MAT-1 Multi User Workstation Expansion Unit for PC

Had this pop up locally; Would this allow multiple users (looks like 4?) to use the same PC? I can't find any references online as to what this is.
  4. Taffer

IBM 5154 Magic Smoke released

Thanks for the help about standoffs. I forgot to mention, I noticed a capacitor hanging off the board. Wonder if it was this way from the factory or if it was fixed by the previous owner (who was the original owner). This is the back of the main board on the bottom of the monitor, visible...
  5. Taffer

I'm missing the plastic standoffs. I could 3d model and print some if anyone has dimensions. Standoffs shown here: https://minuszerodegrees.net/ibm_ega_extra_ram/ibm_ega_extra_ram.htm
  6. Taffer

5154 back in business after replacing what turned out to be RIFA branded safety caps. Also found an ibm EGA card ram expansion in my parts bin. Had no idea what it was until researching the IBM EGA card from this recent haul. What blind luck! Will now need to populate the rest of the sockets.
  7. Taffer

The story of an IBM employee and how his computers ended up with Taffer

Hmm, only one "set" of what I picked up was tagged. One 5150, one 5161, and the 5151. Wonder if that was the work computer and the other was personal.
  8. Taffer

Slotted support brackets for long cards in IBM 5150 etc

Correct, I just grabbed a pic of the area for illustrative purposes. It's a 5150 or 5160. I've got some pics of the 5161s in a recent post of mine.
  9. Taffer

Slotted support brackets for long cards in IBM 5150 etc

Does anyone know the proper name for the slotted brackets that sit at the back end of long cards? Is there a replacement or 3D model that can be printed? I picked up two 5161 expansion units and these are not populated. I'd like to install some long cards in them. Would cards have come with...
  10. Taffer

I'm also Taffer25 on reddit. I exclusively post pictures of my vintage computers...

I'm also Taffer25 on reddit. I exclusively post pictures of my vintage computers. https://www.reddit.com/user/Taffer25/submitted/
  11. Taffer

Thanks. I probably seem like an interrogator to these people when I keep asking questions but I really enjoy the cyber archeology part of vintage computer collecting, especially when I see something like the "property of IBM" tags. Interesting idea. Maybe just a rough value and date of that...
  12. Taffer

Great. I've got replacements on the way from Mouser. Like Adrian Black says, no reason to replace caps etc if they are working.
  13. Taffer

I immediately turned it off and unplugged. I figured I'd better not turn it back on until I disassemble and investigate what blew up for fear of causing more damage.
  14. Taffer

I had an interesting pickup this weekend (Two 5150 PCs, Two complete 5161 Expansion units, 5151 monitor, 5154 monitor, and an early sound card called the IBM music feature card). The previous owner was an IBM employee for 25years, retiring at the end of that stint in 1991. (Note: I've...
  15. Taffer

I've been trying to get my hands on a 5154 for years, so was very pleased to find one this weekend, even more so when it booted up and worked, but within 15mins or so out came the magic smoke. After some research on youtube, minuszerodegress, vogons, and here, I'm suspecting the "WIMA MP 3"...
  16. Taffer

IBM PC Portable 5155 - Did an XTIDE kill my QuadRam Quadboard?

I would be interested in the extender card as well if you have more than one or anything. Thanks
  17. Taffer

IBM PC AT 5170 BIOS versions

I was checking what ROM version my 5170 with a type 3 motherboard had, and noticed it has a later date than those pictured on minuszerodegrees. It has the same part numbers, just 1987. U27=61X9266, U47=61X9265 Date is later than any of the pics here though...
  18. Taffer

Well, I've been playing around and have not been able to replicate that error, so I think modem7's supposition that it was a fluke is all that's left. I am annoyed I now have 4 dead RAM cards (2 Quadrams, 1 techmar captain, one IBM 128/640k though that's a 16bit and may not work anyway). I'll...
  19. Taffer

No, unfortunately. My white whales are the 5155 and the 5161/cards/cable. I've now speared the one but still looking for the other. Yes, the bottom-most quadram is the one that came in the 5155; the other 2 top cards (Quadram and Techmar Captain) I pulled from my parts bin but I believed they...
  20. Taffer

I recently picked up a near-perfect condition IBM 5155 in original box. After unboxing (the keyboard is in a separate box to the unit), checking power supply voltage and verifying no shorted tants on mobo or any cards, cleaning/lubing floppy drives, I booted it up. It booted right up, counted...
Back