• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Taffer

Anex MAT-1 Multi User Workstation Expansion Unit for PC

Had this pop up locally; Would this allow multiple users (looks like 4?) to use the same PC? I can't find any references online as to what this is.
  2. Taffer

Slotted support brackets for long cards in IBM 5150 etc

Does anyone know the proper name for the slotted brackets that sit at the back end of long cards? Is there a replacement or 3D model that can be printed? I picked up two 5161 expansion units and these are not populated. I'd like to install some long cards in them. Would cards have come with...
  3. Taffer

The story of an IBM employee and how his computers ended up with Taffer

I had an interesting pickup this weekend (Two 5150 PCs, Two complete 5161 Expansion units, 5151 monitor, 5154 monitor, and an early sound card called the IBM music feature card). The previous owner was an IBM employee for 25years, retiring at the end of that stint in 1991. (Note: I've...
  4. Taffer

IBM 5154 Magic Smoke released

I've been trying to get my hands on a 5154 for years, so was very pleased to find one this weekend, even more so when it booted up and worked, but within 15mins or so out came the magic smoke. After some research on youtube, minuszerodegress, vogons, and here, I'm suspecting the "WIMA MP 3"...
  5. Taffer

IBM PC Portable 5155 - Did an XTIDE kill my QuadRam Quadboard?

I recently picked up a near-perfect condition IBM 5155 in original box. After unboxing (the keyboard is in a separate box to the unit), checking power supply voltage and verifying no shorted tants on mobo or any cards, cleaning/lubing floppy drives, I booted it up. It booted right up, counted...
  6. Taffer

Recommended Software for cloning Compaq Portable 3 HDD?

I did a search on the topic above, but could use some recommendations from experienced users. The compaq portable 3 will let you hook up 2 hard drives and has a 5.25" 720K drive. I'd like to clone from the primary to the secondary. Thanks.
  7. Taffer

Headstart LX CD floppy boot disk image

I picked up the first computer to retail with a CDrom. It's a 10mhz XT class machine. It came with the Headstart labeled monitor/keyboard/mouse and the 4 setup CDs. It was $15 at an estate sale. It uses a caddy CDROM drive and has a 3.5" floppy drive. Has a ATI VGA wonder 16 card with a bus...
  8. Taffer

Might have ruined the motherboard on a Compaq Portable. Any suggestions?

I recently acquired a Compaq Portable (which included a Mach20 card), and have been attempting to get it working. I was not able to get it to boot; just the fan (which I believe is connected to 120VAC) runs. I replaced the 4 tantalum caps near the power connector on the mobo (c77, c79, c81 and...
Back