• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. R

Tandy 1400 Lo-Tech XT-CF Help

That sounds like it either doesn't like the CF card or there's something else trying to use the same IO port. Have you tried other cards?
  2. R

Tandy 1400 Lo-Tech XT-CF Help

I did! But the 1400LT is not the same beast as the HD/FD so it might be different enough to cause issues. Do you get anything from the XT-IDE BIOS on boot?
  3. R

Unknown XT class SBC CPC-010 ROM dump and explanation

Sergey Kiselev has a write-up on the FE2010A XT chipset in github: https://github.com/skiselev/micro_8088/blob/master/Documentation/Faraday-XT_Controller-FE2010A.md. If you poke through the source for his 8088 bios, it seems that port 63h is the chipset configuration register that controls...
  4. R

What was the mod to the Applle IIe "rev A" board that enabled Double Hi-Res (DHR) graphics?

Ah cool! It's possible I suppose, since that (and presumably other RGB cards?) effectively bypasses the on-board video generation circuitry. That particular card would lack the memory to do 80 col though. - EDIT: I just saw the pic of the box that says it has 80 col support, so I stand...
  5. R

What was the mod to the Applle IIe "rev A" board that enabled Double Hi-Res (DHR) graphics?

Yeah, no desire to mod anything after reading more about how the rev B board works, seems like it's more than something that can be put on a protoboard and stuck in a slot. So no DHR graphics for me! =)
  6. R

Interesting. I have heard you can upgrade the ROMs and install a 65C02 if you want to, but it won't affect the inability to display DHR. I guess the mousetext font additions are pointless without DHR anyway?
  7. R

Hi all, I have a question that may very well be answered somewhere on this forum if I was smart enough to find it. What was the modification done to the first model of IIe to enable double-hi-res graphics? I have what appears to be a "rev A" IIe with a copyright of 1982 on the board without...
  8. R

1000EX not liking anything but 360K drives?

It should work just fine, that's how mine is configured (360k internal 720k external.) The same BIOS limitation applies, so you probably need to use something like setbpb or nformat to format a 3.5" disk properly. The EX has a standard power connector for the internal floppy drive, so you...
  9. R

1000EX Possible Alternate Monitor?

Very cool! Kind of makes me want to keep looking for something like an IBM 5153. =)
  10. R

1000EX Possible Alternate Monitor?

Not really related to the alternate monitor discussion, but I decided to dust off the EX and play with it a bit, poor thing has been sitting idle for a while. Picked up a RGB to HDMI hat for the rPi so I can get this connected to my office flat panel TV (not enough space for everything to have...
  11. R

IBM PS/2 Model 30

Wow that looks amazing! I don't know about how the 8087 works in these but I would imagine it has to be running at 8MHz?
  12. R

IBM PS/2 Model 30

Yeah, the original monitor does not do higher than 640x480 unfortunately, but otherwise is just fine for gaming! Anything requiring higher res graphics would be painful on an 8086 anyway.
  13. R

720kB and 1.44MB drive compatibility riddle with 720kB floppy disks

I had the same issue with my Tandy 1400LT. The A drive was slightly out of alignment, leading to odd compatibility issues with the other systems, including the USB drive attached to my Win 10 system. Swapping it with the B drive in the same system solved the problem, and I didn't need two...
  14. R

IBM PS/2 Model 30

Cool! Just play a few games and make sure it doesn't freeze or reboot and you'll be fine. I think the battery powers the RTC and NVRAM. My keyboard basically drowned in condensation, eventually ended up replacing it with a different low-mileage model M. So that's probably the thing I'd pay...
  15. R

IBM PS/2 Model 30

Congrats on finding a low mileage model 30! Not sure if there's anything major to look out for as long as it boots, if you're unfamiliar with the PS/2 model 25 and 30 systems (8086 variants) then the only odd things are going to be the non-standard HDD interface and the MCGA graphics (not quite...
  16. R

California TRS-80 Model II systems: $100 each

Sort of. It made it to a clean workspace and started to get disassembled for cleaning! Likely more progress this weekend.
  17. R

California TRS-80 Model II systems: $100 each

@daverand I just sent you a PM about the systems. I'm up in SF and am interested.
  18. R

Tandy 1400LT

I have a 1400LT and can confirm that a replica Covox Speech Thing works just fine. Sadly, not the same as an AdLib. =(
  19. R

1000EX not liking anything but 360K drives?

Definitely something weird going on. My 1000EX running DR-DOS 6 can read 720K disks just fine, but it does the same thing where the 3.5" drive is recognized as a 360K drive. But nformat can format as 720k just fine, so I never bothered to do anything with driver.sys/driveparm. However, I did...
Back