• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. C

Best shaders for simulating CRT screens on emulators

The latest official release of 86Box supports, at last without bugs, screen shaders. Also do DOXBox-x and PC-em. They come with a lot of shaders. The ones I like most, from what I tried, are CRT-geom and CRT-lottes-fast. They simulate the CRT curvature but, in my opinion it's a bit exaggerated...
  2. C

Confusion about Hercules blending

I have a Hercules+CGA dual graphics card, and I recently bought a PC clone which has a Hercules clone. None of both cards show the graphics blended like in picture 2. They always show like in picture 1. (The pictures are taken from an emulator as I didn't find images from real hardware...
  3. C

Dual graphics card

Hi! I have this auto-switching dual display adapter: I haven't found any information on the web, other than a photo of another card which is almost identical (except for the chips from the left). Right now it's working on Hercules mode. I would love to set it to CGA mode. For that, I guess...
  4. C

Help me disassembling a CGA emulator

Since several decades ago I have an old CGA emulator for Hercules. It's just a TSR wich takes only 512 bytes. It's the best CGA emulator I know. As far as I tried, it seems that only works on real hardware, it hangs every emulator... In real hardware, it works so great and accurate that I would...
  5. C

XT Clone Turbo button doing nothing

Hi. I have a Turbo XT very similar to the DTK clones. It has a Fujitsu 8088 dual speed, 4.77 Mhz and 10 Mhz. It has a button to switch between slow and fast speed, but the computer always stays on high speed no matter the button is pressed or not. I looked inside but everything looks plugged on...
  6. C

8086 on an 8088 motherboard

Sorry if it is a quite silly question. I recently bought via eBay an 8086 10 Mhz processor. I would like to put it on my PS/2 Model 30 but, as I read elsewhere, that would do nothing as the clock speed of the board would continue to work at 8 Mhz. So my question is: can I put this processor on...
  7. C

How much did cost a genuine IBM VGA card in 1987/88?

I've being googling but no luck. The closest I found is the value of early ATI clones, sold by between 400-500$ at the time, but I'm quite curious about how expensive would be in 1987/88 upgrading, for example, a PS/2 Model 30 8086 from MCGA to a state of art VGA card. Thanks!
  8. C

Trident 8900c displaying B/W on a CRT monitor

I recently bought an LG Studioworks 552V 14 ' CRT monitor. I wanted an IBM one but it wasn't easy for me to find one, but this works great and it was incredibly cheap (5€ + delivery expenses). The problem is that while my OAK OTI card works perfectly, my other VGA card, a Trident 8900C...
  9. C

Getting rid of the carrier wave (whining) on PWM for PC speaker

Hi there! A time ago I managed to reproduce music through the PC speaker. I just use this code: asm les di,dword ptr[Voice.Sample] asm add di,[SpeakerPCMCounter] asm mov al,es:[di] asm out 42h, al This is embedded on an Int 08h handler. I...
  10. C

Why do you do this? (retro-coding)

Why do we program for systems that most people consider "obsolete"? I would love to know your opinions and feelings about this. For me, a few reasons would be: - Because it's fun - It's rewarding (and frustrating some times...) - If you use that computer on the present moment and it's useful...
  11. C

External 5.25" drive for PS/2

Hi, everyone! I just bought, quite cheap on my local market (no $Ebay$, thank God...) a CMS 360-U case for 5.25" floppy drive. I had a spare drive so I've connected into the case. It has no power cord, just a db25 female socket. So my question is: what do I need to make it work on a PS/2 model...
  12. C

ISA 16 bit Creative cards on 8086

Well, I'm continuing in my quest for equipping my these days bare 8086. I'm seeking for a sound card. The problem, just as happens with the video cards, is that 8 bit sound cards seem to be scarce. The very few I found on sale are Adlib clones, but I want a Sound Blaster with DMA and sample...
  13. C

14 pin socket with a 15 pin cable

Some older video adapters, such as the original MCGA, come with a 14 pin socket. Upon my observations, it matches perfectly with a 15 pin cable, except for that pin that the MCGA hasn't. My question is: can I use a regular 15 pin cable, just removing the extra pin from it, or would I buy a 14...
  14. C

ISA 16 bit VGA for a 8 bit slot

Hi! I'm looking for a VGA card for my 8086 system. The problem is the 8 bit ISA cards seem to be quite scarce. It looks far easier to find and buy a 16 bit card. I read on minuszerodegrees.net that there are some 16 bit ISA card that work on 8 bit slots on 8086/88 systems. I watched this table...
  15. C

CGA mode 4, Horizontal displayed over EGA/VGA

Hi there! I'm now messing with the CGA registers. My goal is to achieve horizontal hardware scrolling on CGA 4 color mode without flickering. I achieved to reduce the horizontal displayed on the CGA (emulated, I have no real CGA to play with): outp (0x3D4,1); outp (0x3D5,39); But this has no...
  16. C

Indentation is no longer preserved when pasting from external file

Before the forum software update, when code was pasted from an external source (i.e. an editor such as Notepad++, VS Code or the like), the indentation was preserved. The new forum's text editor just removes all tabs and indentations. Regards!
  17. C

Automatic frame skip on the x86

OutRun for PC self adapts the FPS shown depending on the speed of the processor. But, and this really seems stunning to me, it makes it on real time! For example, on DOSBox you can start at a certain speed (let's say, 3000 cycles) and it runs very smooth. But if, during the game play, we...
  18. C

CGA composite emulator's accuracy

I've been doing some tests on 640x200 CGA composite mode (which transforms on 160x200x16 colors). I've been using a program written by Michael Abrash and Dan Illowsky, published on their 1984 book Graphics for the IBM PC. I just added a few lines of code to test changing the foreground color in...
  19. C

Audio compression for the 8086/88

I've being doing a research for PCM samples compression for such an early processor as the 8086/88, for being played on the internal speaker, parallel port devices and SB and compatibles . The requirements I look for are: it must be fast, as the target processors I chose are quite slow; it must...
  20. C

VGA X-Mode 256x240 aspect ratio

Hi. I'm experimenting with a few VGA X-Mode not so usual modes. I currently don't have real hardware to test, so I must relay on emulators. DosBox 0.74-3: I configured it to maintain the aspect ratio, also avoiding the default Surface rendering engine, using OpenGl or DDraw. When I test the...
Back