• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. alejack12001

Is this motherboard no longer usable?

I have an issue with a IBM PC-XT/286 that uses a Baby AT motherboard that seems to be hung up within POST. First, this is not an actual IBM PC-XT/286 motherboard. The motherboard is made by Informtech International Inc as a Baby AT 80286 10-MHz with 1-MB RAM. The motherboard uses Chips and...
  2. alejack12001

Comparison between mTCP's NetDrive and EtherDFS

I just wanted find out if any of the forum members have deployed M. Brutman's mTCP NetDrive and possibly compared it to EtherDFS. I have been using the EtherDFS for about 2 years and have had a number of problems with it's use. First of all. my old DOS systems refuse to upload files to the DFS...
  3. alejack12001

Can a Power Supply for an IBM 5170 be repaired if damaged by shipping carrier?

On 2nd of January this year, I received an. IBM 5170 AT machine that was purchased from an eBay seller. The seller made photographs of the machine before shipment. When it arrived, there was damage to the machine on the side of the machine where the power supply is engaged, namely the red switch...
  4. alejack12001

Correct Tarvan Tape Size used with HP Colorado 5GB Drive

Machine is Gateway P2 500 with 20 GB hard drive and 384 MB RAM using Windows XP Pro SP-3. I am using an HP Colorado 5GB Drive with HP Colorado II Backup software Version 9 that is compatible with Windows XP Pro. HP Colorado 5GB drive is IDE model and is currently on the secondary IDE bus as...
  5. alejack12001

Seeking Jumper information on Epson Floppy Controller Card

The floppy controller shown below is one I recently got to help me with a machine that I am having trouble booting. I am just seeking description of the jumpers shown on the board. There is a serial chip on the board and I feel that J3 - J6 are associated with serial port. In addition, there is...
  6. alejack12001

Mix and match RAM on IBM 5150 motherboard

I have an IBM PC (5150) that is operational, now that I have the floppy drives working. The motherboard has 256-KB of RAM on it with some 9-chips of TI 4164-20 soldered to the motherboard in bank 0. Banks 1-3 has IBM 2164-20’s in sockets on the motherboard. I wish to increase the RAM to 640-KB...
  7. alejack12001

IBM 5150 showing 601 error after POST

I have been trying to standup an IBM 5150 and have experienced some difficulty with the system. I was able to correct errors that I made with regard to the rocker switches on the motherboard. Once I got the memory corrected, I noticed an error preceding the machines default to the cassette boot...
  8. alejack12001

Substitute LPT for monitor on IBM 5150

I have IBM 5150 PC that I am standing up. I have had the motherboard for some 35 years and really never decided to build a system to support it, until now. I have acquired the support cards such as the CGA card, floppy controller and parallel/serial card. In addition, I have the 63.5 watt power...
  9. alejack12001

IBM 5150 Trimmer Capacitor Suggestion

I am starting to rebuild an IBM 5150 machine. I have the 5150 motherboard, however, I have discovered that the trimer capacitor is damaged. According to minuszerodegreeqs website, the trimmer capacitor can be replaced by a 20pf capacitor. Minuszerodegrees doesn’t say whether the replacement...
  10. alejack12001

My Passport USB drive may be hosed

I have a WD My Passport USB 3.0 external hard drive that was used to store data, papers, documents, and pictures. Over time, I moved these files to a 4-TB hard drive that was formatted under Ubuntu Linux as a mirror RAID (two 4-TB drives mirrored). I had a lot of problems with the newer Ubuntu...
  11. alejack12001

SCSI Control question

My inquiry to to ask about the sequence of a MS-DOS boot with regard to a SCSI drive being internal or external connected to the controller. What I am asking is that If the SCSI drive is set to SCSI ID 0 or 1 then the location shouldn’t make a difference. I wanted to see if that concept is...
  12. alejack12001

Seeking drivers and possibly software for 16-bit sound card

I have acquired a sound card for my 286 machine. The sound card is an Acer S30 16-bit sound card. I found that Stason website has details on the card configuration. However I don’t know if the Sound Blaster DOS or windows software will work with this card as the main chipset is a Vibrant 16...
  13. alejack12001

Boca XT RAM Card on AT-286 machine

Is it possible or not to get a EMS/LIM 4.0, Boca 8-bit (XT) memory expansion card to work in a 286 machine that has an 8-bit slot? I tried this without success on my 286 machine. There are eight possible address combinations. For @D000 or @E000, the possible addresses are 208, 218, 258, and 268...
  14. alejack12001

Using Adaptec SCSI card, MSDOS 6.22 fails to partition (FDISK) and format SCSI drive

The shown procedure is similar to an earlier post on the VCFed.org regarding “EZ-SCSI not detecting card.” The controller being used is Adaptec AHA-1522, which has both floppy and 50-pin SCSI capability with a built in ROM. The hard drive being used is a Conner CB-3180, which is a 50-pin SCSI...
  15. alejack12001

Setup for MFM Hard drive used with 286 AT Type Machine

I have a 286-AT type machine that I have posted with the forum on different subjects. However, I need advice regarding the configuration of a Seagate MFM ST-251-1 hard drive with a Winchester Western Digital controller under WD1006V-MM2. In the AMI CMOS set-up, there is only two setting for the...
  16. alejack12001

Model F keyboard to Model M Keyboard

Simple question can a IBM Model F keyboard be converted to a Model M? If so, How?
  17. alejack12001

Power Supply will no bring up Unbranded 286 Motherboard

I am using an unbranded 286 motherboard that I recently acquired for an IBM 5162 machine to replace an AST motherboard that was faulty. The AST board worked with a 130-W power supply that accompanied the 5162 received. Power supply was good at least under the AST board. The attached picture...
  18. alejack12001

The Reset Button on AT clone motherboard

The following link shows an unbranded motherboard that I recently acquired to replace an AST motherboard that was faulty: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/U/UNIDENTIFIED-286-286-TURBO.html The question I wanted to ask deals with the reset control on the motherboard, shown as J3. I know...
  19. alejack12001

Identify 386SX Motherboard

The above motherboard was extracted from a Gateway 386SX-16 machine. However, I cannot seem to find any markings to identify the manufacturer of the board. If anyone could help, it would be appreciated. The closeup is the BIOS manufacturer.
  20. alejack12001

AST XFormer/286 BIOS Checksum error

Recently, I acquired an IBM PC XT/286 computer. I was able to start up the computer and found the CMOS checksum error shown in the picture, IMG_3974.jpg. The machine is using an AST XFormer/286 BIOS version 1.2. I checked several websites to find explanation of the CMOS checksum error...
Back