• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. tony359

A way to re-use an IBM PS/2 dead drive

Hi all, I've always been attached to my PS/2 model 30, it's where all started. I used them at school when I was a teenager and I remember the funny noise those stepper-driven HDDs were making. When I got a PS/2 I was so sad that the HDD was not working and my investigation seems to point to a...
  2. tony359

Help identifying PS/2 board

Hi all, In my PS/2 model 30 8086 (ISA) I found this board. It's not serial or parallel - at least CheckIt doesn't see any additional serial or parallel ports - and there is nothing on it to say what it could be. Any ideas? Thanks!
  3. tony359

IBM PS/2 model 30 floppy "no index pulse" issue

Hi all, Some time ago I dealt with an IBM floppy drive which was not working. I found 2 faulty logic ICs but then the drive would refuse to format and I found that the "index pulse" was missing from the drive. I tracked the issue down to a Mitsubishi IC (m52800fp) of which I could not find...
  4. tony359

Composite capture recommendations

Hi all, I'm looking for a recommendation for a good COMPOSITE capture device. I have an OSSC which works well with VGA and Component. I also have one of those "cheap" AVTOHDMI boxes but it seldom works, picture jumps all over the place. Then I bought an "add-on" board from Aliexpress for the...
  5. tony359

IBM WD25 20MB - do I need to park the heads?

Hi all, A crucial question has been asked about my IBM XT 5160 with a WD25 in it: do I need to park the heads of that drive before powering it off or will the heads park automatically using the residual energy from the platters? I can't find a reference on the 5160 manual. Thanks!
  6. tony359

game for 5160 and 5151 monitor

Hi all, I've got an IBM XT 5160 with a monocrome 5151 monitor. I'm looking for a game which works with that monitor which seems pretty limited in what can be displayed. The video card is an EGA Paradise. Besides the MCGA version of Prince of Persia, I haven't been able to run much, the monitor...
  7. tony359

IBM 5151 monochrome monitor "tired"?

Hi all, I have inspected a 5151 monitor - I thought it was faulty but then I realised it won't switch on without a signal :) The monitor works but it's a bit soft. I adjusted the FOCUS trimpot and it's maxed out to one direction and I don't get to a point where the focus "gets better and then...
  8. tony359

IBM XT 5160 keyboard issue

Hi all, I am resuscitating an IBM XT 5160 and the keyboard doesn't seem to be working. I tested the board on my bench, out of the case. With just the EGA card connected it shows error 601 (floppy, expected), press F1 to continue but nothing would happen when I hit F1. I plugged the floppy just...
  9. tony359

Apple ProFile 5MB HDD repair

Hi all, I've been working on a dead Apple Profile, HDD for the //, /// and Lisa. Turned out the PSU was dead so I repaired it and made my usual video! I don't have the card for my Apple // so I cannot test the drive but I'll return it soon to a friend who has a Lisa. The HDD seems to...
  10. tony359

Apple //c ALPS floppy drive repair

Hi all, I'm fixing an Apple //c, the ALPS drive is kind of working but it fails all general tests from MECC and XPS. Also it reports a speed of 400 or 600RPM (depending on when I try) but I am 100% sure the speed is correct as I can see the 50Hz pattern still and I also have a tachometer to...
  11. tony359

Apple IIc keyboard restoration

Hi all, I'm about to repair/restore my Apple //c and I noticed its keyboard is weird, it's like there is a spongy and deformed membrane under the keycaps. I haven't inspected it yet but wondering whether that used to be a liquid protection membrane which went band over time? Keys feel spongy...
  12. tony359

[VIDEO] Apple //c monitors repair

Hi all, I've repaired a couple of those cute little Apple //c monitors and I made a video out of it. Feedback, thoughts, comments are all welcome!
  13. tony359

Posting YT videos

Hi there, I fixed two Apple //c monitors and made a YT video about that. Before posting it I just wanted to check with the community that this is ok as my channel is big enough to monetise (very little :) ) and I don't want to appear as someone just looking for advertisement. What are your...
Back