• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5151 monochrome monitor "tired"?

tony359

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I have inspected a 5151 monitor - I thought it was faulty but then I realised it won't switch on without a signal :)

The monitor works but it's a bit soft. I adjusted the FOCUS trimpot and it's maxed out to one direction and I don't get to a point where the focus "gets better and then worse" if you know what I mean. I can turn and see minor improvement and then the adjustment stops *before* it gets worse.

Could this be just a tired CRT or could it be a tired capacitor? :) I don't see electrolytics on the Focus line.

Also the monitor has an horrendous phosphor retention! If I DIR a folder it takes about 2/3 SECONDS for the phosphors to fully fade out! Again: tired CRT or maybe a tired capacitor? Or maybe this CRT has always been like this?

Clip attached. Image is intentionally overexposed but that's how it looks with naked eyes.

Can someone familiar with this monitor comment please?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 5151 persistency.mp4
    3.2 MB
My 5151 has a similar retention time to your video. Think that’s just how they are. Someone had made a matrix scrolling text demo specifically for this monitor by removing “fade” effects that were in others.

As for sharpness not sure. Have you shot the pots with deoxit yet?

You should check the voltages in the focus circuit against the schematic. It looks like one end of the focus control should be +450v, and -170 on the other. Knowing which end you're maxed out at will narrow things down.

You should also check for out of tolerance resistors in the same circuit. Also, make sure the focus control itself is good.

Pc sprint? Haven't heard of it, but sounds interesting.

But I did compile digirain last night and ran it on my 5170 with amber monitor. I need to try it with my 5151.

Pc sprint? Haven't heard of it, but sounds interesting.

But I did compile digirain last night and ran it on my 5170 with amber monitor. I need to try it with my 5151.

Yea really cool mod. Huge performance boost for 8088 pc’s

ahaha the monitor with the built-in Matrix effect! Fantastic! Thanks for confirming.

I shall check the voltage values as per schematics. Chances are this is what the monitor can do but I can check!

Cheers!

Back