• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. jscipione

Book 8088 discovery and modification thread

This guy put a regular (ok soviet clone) 8088 in his Book v2 and it booted up and worked with some software, but it did appear to crash when he ran checkit and other software so that's probably caused by the VGA BIOS incompatibility you're talking about.
  2. jscipione

I wasn't aware that the VGA BIOS they're using required a V20, sorry to mislead. That card would enable you to use an Intel 8088 using CGA I suppose if you could get your hands on one. Yes the two ASICs are most likely the same as the ones used on the Book 8088 v1 and the standalone CGA card.
  3. jscipione

Help with getting dos on a cf card with a modern pc

I don't have an IBM 5150 but yes, people have definitely gotten DOS 6.x working on a 5150 using a CF Card and XT-IDE. Easiest way to install is to load the CF Card up in VirtualBox, install DOS 6.22 on it. Then move the CF Card over to your IBM 5150 no physical floppy disks required. Here are...
  4. jscipione

I didn't know that existed. It appears to allow a Book8088 v2 to run a CGA card instead of VGA restoring the video card to CGA like on the v1 version. You can run an Intel 8088 on a Book 8088 already. Even if you did recreate the PCB that tough part is reproducing the 2 large ASICs that...
  5. jscipione

After plugging the ISA expansion board into my Book 8088 v1 I've managed to break it and it won't boot up anymore. I'm guessing I must have plugged something in backwards and damaged something on the board. Adrian Black's recent video on the Book 8088 () inspired me to give repairing this thing...
  6. jscipione

Not all CF cards will boot so you may simply have one that won’t boot for whatever reason and you need to try another CF card. That being said you may I got a 2gb cf card booting on my Book 8088 before it died so I know it’s possible. I loaded the cf card in virtualbox, installed MS DOS 6.22...
  7. jscipione

If you’re really serious, you may purchase a fully assembled Monster FDC while supplies last (not affiliated, an enthusiast.) https://www.tindie.com/products/weird/monster-fdc/
  8. jscipione

The green has invaded from a Varta battery

Do not immerse the board in vinegar but use it to neutralize the acid and then clean with soap and water and allow to dry completely. I have a battery leak damaged 286 motherboard a pretty nice one … if it worked that I’d like to get back to some day.
  9. jscipione

Guidance On Ripping Atari ST Disks with Greaseweazel

Do you have any DOS disks you can test to see if the drive is working and reading disks? You can type 'gw rpm' to tell if the greaseweazel is communicating with the drive for things like cabling. If all is well it will spin for a bit. The drive should be connected after the twist so it's the...
  10. jscipione

Yes you are jumpered correctly, I only mention I jumper for old 360k dos floppy disks. For Atari ST you’re safe with the normal rotation rate (and encoding). Are you absolutely positive that is not a 1-sided disks? Some c64 disks are one sided, I’ve heard…
  11. jscipione

I have that same style of light blue PCB Teac FD55-GFR and I can tell you there are two jumpers you need to worry about. 1 is the cross on the left to select the drive ID. Assuming you are using a standard PC floppy cable with a twist DS1 as you have it set is correct. The other jumper of...
  12. jscipione

Is there a case to be made for the 386?

The 386 was a truly revolutionary CPU. Not only did it feature full 32-bit addressing, an even more impactful feature was its built-in MMU. The MMU is what allowed you to quickly switch between apps on Windows 3.11. So the real question is not whether the 386 is relevant, the question is if did...
  13. jscipione

3.5" disks - single vs double sided?

Single-sided disks are good for Atari ST
  14. jscipione

Unfortunately I don't have any Atari ST disks to test. These are single-sided 3.5" double density disks? It's possible that the disk data is bad, but it's also possible that you're not reading the data correctly. gw read --format=atarist.360 "C:\COMSTUFF\No Save\test.hfe" By specifying...
  15. jscipione

Help me to revive this dead ISA floppy disk and serial controller card

I finally got the floppy/serial controller rebuilt and put a new (real NS) PC8544bv-1 chip in it. I made sure not to install JP1. On the bright side plugging the card in no longer results in burnt out traces. Unfortunately, plugging the floppy controller in seems to have killed my micro-8088. No...
  16. jscipione

No I did not install JP1 and I don't have a PS/2 floppy drive just regular old 3.5" and 5.25" drives. The two of you (ChuckG and Sergey) have identified a short on 5V as being the culprit, and I believe you. My best guess is that the short is inside the PC8544bv-1 chip given the damaged traces...
  17. jscipione

I have had a catastrophic failure on my ISA Floppy Disk and Serial Controller card in my micro 8088 machine. Something went very wrong with the card erasing every ROM on my system as it went out in flames. I've managed to restore the rest of the ROMs on the rest of my system but traces on the...
  18. jscipione

286 Phoenix bios & can I use it in an IBM 5170?

I am amazed that this all worked out. Sorry for bad advice. I was assuming that the 4 chips were all part of one BIOS image, turns out to be two separate BIOS images, which basically matches what the labels said they were. Like you said, it booted up the first time straight away. Now you have 2...
  19. jscipione

Ok that confirms it, the ROMs are 16k each as signified by the 27128 designation so you need all 4 chips together to create a single 64k BIOS. It looks like the other sets says Award on it so it appears to be part of a different set of BIOS chips than the Phoenix ones do but if you took them all...
  20. jscipione

Most 286 BIOS's from Phoenix and other BIOS manufacturers copied the IBM 5170 BIOS for compatibility and so therefore can work on the original 5170 hardware. There is a chance that your BIOS may not work on it but the chance of damage is minimal. There is a later Phoenix BIOS from 1990 that is...
Back