• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. circa77

http://www.68bits.com

What a crock of shit.
  2. circa77

Gimix floppy controller (and) How come there's no SS-50 heading under "Genres"?

Yes, I looked at that too (and I have an original hard copy catalog that shows it) and found the same thing - that you can make out enough information to confirm what we know but not high enough resolution to get anything useful.
  3. circa77

I can't answer that question because at this point it's an idle query rather than my seriously digging into the problem. The SWTPC is certainly functionally comparable, but beyond that there's little to compare other than the 1771. Just count the ICs/sockets.
  4. circa77

Yeah, that's what I figure, but it doesn't mean it needs to be fully-populated in order to run only 5". Hence the question. Someone must have one - or just the docs.
  5. circa77

Second question first: Of course, everyone is going to want a section dedicated to "their" system. But I'd argue that the SS-50 actually deserves one, because it was the bus second in popularity only to S-100 in the original hobby micro era. Like MITS, SWTPC existed for years before putting...
  6. circa77

Help me fix my Commodore PET 😀

Pro tip: If you make that trip to Montreal, insist on a trip to Schwartz's. Heh - that's a flashback, seeing the drilled PCB. At The Computer Shop we used to buy the minimally-populated PETs from Commodore (I honestly can't remember whether it was during times when the max-RAM versions were...
  7. circa77

KIM-1 Repairs continue

To clarify: I have no present intent beyond regenerating the documentation - I just wanted to do it for fun. Yeah, we can have some weird ideas about where to find "fun". Dwight sent me a pair of bare boards as well as a completed assembly that had been somewhat hacked apart, but was still...
  8. circa77

KIM-1 Repairs continue

Oh - back to the actual subject at hand, though: Dwight sent me his 6530/32 boards and I've recreated the schematic. It took some back-and-forth with him to get a bunch of details right, particularly in getting the pins and functions aligned with his PAL. I'll be posting the schematic (I added...
  9. circa77

KIM-1 Repairs continue

I'll see your "period appropriate components" argument, and raise you a "period appropriate techniques" wrt reproductions. As I've indicated previously, a reproduction should not be considered true unless it was done using the techniques used for the creation of the original. So if you're...
  10. circa77

PET RTC option Question

Nah, not to worry - I'm the furthest thing from "wound up". I could direct you to examples of such, but you'd need a sedative and an oxygen bottle handy. I get what you're saying, and you're probably right about a little assembly (or C) driver being somewhat beyond the peek'n'poke crowd. But...
  11. circa77

PET RTC option Question

Sure, but it's not "gross" if you consider their intent. There have always been "conventional" RTCs out there. As I'm sure you know, Dallas's (and, to be fair, MOSTEK's before them) very appealing pitch was to offer the designer the ability to kill three birds with one stone: Not only are we...
  12. circa77

PET RTC option Question

Not that there was/is anything tricky about the driver - it's really straightforward, and it'll look completely familiar to anyone who ever had to bit-bang serial data through a parallel port bit.
  13. circa77

PET RTC option Question

Thanks for the corrections/details - I'll pull the databook too and refresh my memory. But what about those ROMs deviated from the bytewide JEDEC standard? Did they change the enable polarity or something?
  14. circa77

PET RTC option Question

Ummm... possible, but the devil's in the details. First, what size are those ROMs (in pins and bytes), and if 24, how long has it been since Dallas made a 24p Smartwatch? Did they ultimately ditch those parts in favour of the 28s and 32s along the way? And iIrc, you "unlocked" them to get at...
  15. circa77

PET RTC option Question

Forgive me, but it's been more than 40 years since I last looked at a PET schematic. Do any of those ROM sockets have a valid write signal going to them? I sorta think not, so if not an adapter board, some kludges to get it there.
  16. circa77

Found PET at estate sale

I dunno about anyone else, but I was talking about this board, not one with variable caps, pots, switches, TSOPs, etc. And there's nothing "lazy", if you're doing a run of boards, about using a aqueous cleaning system (dishwasher) to clean water-soluble flux, because that's what the flux is...
  17. circa77

Found PET at estate sale

Here we go again, another geek pouring beer over a board.
  18. circa77

Picked up an incredible Commodore 64c haul yesterday w/ some really fantastic/rare items. However the C64 itself is (mostly?) dead - tips appreciated!

Jason: Hey, great to see you here - not at all expected. I've been lurking for years but slowly joined up and in over some KIM-1 stuff (I've been redrawing Dwight Elvey's lost diagnostic board and 6530 replacement module schematics). Jonathan
  19. circa77

Found PET at estate sale

https://app.salsify.com/catalogs/7d8c7379-cdab-4620-9101-e4b70cc5c5eb/products/1006114 says otherwise, but what-ever...
  20. circa77

Found PET at estate sale

Yeah, well, if you take a peek at their site, you'll see that CRC doesn't sell it in the US, so you're looking at buying it from a Canadian company. Funny, that... I keep running into American products (e.g. an Amsoil lube) that are illegal in Canada and I have to bounce down into Montana to...
Back