• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. G

Seattle Retro-Computing Society meets Saturday, Feb. 25th

Come one, come all, to the Seattle Retro-Computing Society's regular monthly meeting! It will be held Saturday, February 25th from 11:30 AM to 5:00 PM (please note our new, later starting time). Do you do any of the following with old computers? Will you be near Seattle on Saturday? + Use...
  2. G

Seattle Retro-Computing Society's 1st 2012 meeting: Sat. Jan. 28th

Come one, come all, to the Seattle Retro-Computing Society's first monthly meeting of 2012! It will be held Saturday, January 28th from 11:30 AM to 5:00 PM (please note our new, later starting time). Do you do any of the following with old computers? Will you be near Seattle on Saturday? +...
  3. G

Seattle Retro-Computing Society: Last 2011 meeting Sat. Nov. 26th

Come one, come all, to the Seattle Retro-Computing Society's monthly meeting, on Saturday, November 26th, 2011! You don't want to miss this one -- it's our last meeting until January 2012. Do you do any of the following with old computers near Seattle? + Use, collect, and/or restore them...
  4. G

Seattle Retro-Computing Society meets Sat. Sept. 17th

Come one, come all, to the Seattle Retro-Computing Society's monthly meeting, on Saturday, September 17th, 2011! Do you do any of the following with old computers near Seattle? + Use, collect, and/or restore them + Play games on them + Write programs for them + Develop new hardware...
  5. G

Seattle Retro-Computing Society inaugural meeting June 25th

I am pleased to announce... the Seattle Retro-Computing Society's inaugural meeting, on Saturday, June 25th, 2011! Do you do any of the following with old computers? + Use them + Collect them + Play games on them + Write programs for them + Develop new hardware for them +...
  6. G

New retrocomputing group forming — north end of Seattle region

Hello all, I am forming a new retro- and vintage computing group in the Seattle area. It will almost certainly be focussed north of the city centre simply because there are already groups in the south end, around Tacoma. I had originally planned to focus on one or two types of old micro...
  7. G

What will run on a nearly unexpanded ROM 00 IIgs?

I have two of these nice units, though only one monitor, RAM card and set of drives (one each 3.5" and 5.25"). Everything I’ve seen online indicates that the IIgs software from Apple needs either more RAM than I have or a hard drive. Is that assessment accurate? If it is accurate, what _can_ I...
  8. G

Repairing a Commodore 2040 IEEE-488 drive

I recently acquired one of these units, and was not at all shocked to get the famous "blinking LEDs" error advisory when I turned it on. Sources online seem divided about the precise interpretation I should attach to the code thus reported (7 flashes, pause, repeat), though the general consensus...
  9. G

Buy/Trade: Apple IIgs ‘ROM 3’ motherboard

Hello all, I have been “blessed” (?) with not one but two working ‘ROM 0’ IIgses. (Yup, that’s right, whoever owned them never bothered upgrading them to ROM 1.) I would dearly love to get my hands on a ROM 3 motherboard to swap into one of them (I know a guy who did this and he says it works...
  10. G

Does anyone have a CBM 4022 printer manual?

I’ve been looking everywhere for a “Commodore 4022 Tractor Printer” manual. This is for the PET-compatible printer that succeeded the 3022 model. I found the website of a vintage-radio restorer who has a copy of the service manual for sale at three times what I paid for the actual printer, but...
  11. G

PET "Fat 40" 4032 RAM expansion, 80-col & IDE mods, etc.

Hi all, First, RAM expansion: I have looked at various sites online; one even sells NOS 64K RAM upgrades for the 8032, albeit at a high enough price I'd rather try to build my own. Alas, the only expansion header pinouts I was able to find were for the 8296, with a confusing "differences...
  12. G

Mac Classic II PDS slot

Does anyone know what the 50-pin slot marked “ROM/FPU” at one edge of my Mac Classic II’s motherboard can be used for?
  13. G

IIgs ROM 00 → 01 upgrade

I couldn't find revision 01 IIgs ROMs on eBay or anywhere else online. This is a problem because both of my IIgses are ROM 00 units, meaning they apparently won't network boot or run the latest versions of GS/OS. (I haven't been able to track down any consistent mention of what the most recent...
  14. G

What disk formats can the 1571 and 1581 be coerced into reading?

For background on why I'm asking about this, see my post here in the Early Apple subforum on this site. A quick summary: I have, in addition to my Commodore stuff, some Apple II and Mac stuff. The more recent Macs have internet connectivity, and they all have floppy drives of various types. This...
  15. G

At sea concerning Apple II 3.5" & 5¼" floppy formats

This is going to need some background. I have the following: - Apple IIgs with one 5¼" drive (model A9M0107) and one 3.5" drive (model A9M0106) — how many sides of the disk do these write to, and to what formatted capacities? How many Apple II floppy formats are there? Are the drives...
  16. G

Data 20 Corp. "Video Pak 80"

I recently acquired one of these 80 column video cartridges in a box marked "16K Video Pak". Original? Danged if I can tell. Unfortunately it didn't come with a manual. Research online indicates there were a whole series of these cartridges, the earlier ones of which appear to have been for...
  17. G

Upgrading an SE floppy to SuperDrive

I recently obtained an old Mac SE (not SE/30) with an 800K floppy drive (and a SCSI hard drive in the upper bay). It also came with the SuperDrive out of a Mac II-series, I think it was a IIci or similar. I tried to install the SuperDrive into the SE in place of the 800K drive, but the Mac still...
  18. G

Got out my old PET 4032 ... some help please?

Hi all! Just retrieved the rest of my retrocomputing collection from my parents' place in Canada, and was delighted to discover that the PET still works. On examination, it has something to the effect of "80 column mainboard" written on the PCB, but it only shows a Fat 40 screen. (Apparently...
  19. G

Apple IIgs hot-key combinations

I recently acquired a pair of Apple IIgses, one of which even works, but I have no software for it, not even an OS. I understand I can theoretically kludge my own if I can track down a IIgs programming reference and get into the built-in MLM they are said to have, but I don't know the hotkeys to...
  20. G

Small Commodore/Apple collection

Hi all! Just found this forum. Looks good so far. My collection: Apple stuff: - 2 ROM 0 IIgs’es, one with dead PS and the other a “Woz Edition”; 1 monitor and one each 5¼" and 3½" floppy drives; no software of any kind though. - 1 Lisa II with 5MiB Profile HD (both dead due to exposure to...
Back