• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. G

Is there a way to remotely access RT-11 running on simh using SSH on Android?

Just for fun I'd like to be able to access an instance of RT-11 running on one of my home servers, under simh. That server is already set up for remote connectivity as it also functions as my media server (using port forwarding on my router). I guess I'm wondering if there's a way to connect...
  2. G

RSX-11M Scripting language for (I assume) RMS databases

I have in my memory examples of a scripting language we used to use on our PDP-11's running RSX11M. These"programs" were used to drive database entry using either video terminals or printers w/keyboards. In other words, these scripts were the editing facility for the database tables. I'm...
  3. G

Multiple files w/same name (versioning) - One of DEC's best ideas

Does anyone besides me miss the ability to have multiple files with the same name? Drives me crazy that we cannot do this on Windows or Linux. I'm referring to this: JOHNSDOC.TXT;1 JOHNSDOC.TXT;2 JOHNSDOC.TXT;3 JOHNSDOC.TXT;4 JOHNSDOC.TXT;5 It's especially annoying when you copy and paste a...
  4. G

Happy DEC-20 day

Happy DEC-20 day to all enthusiasts. One of these days I gotta get it running on simh.
  5. G

Is Turbo C available?

I've come across places where you can download Turbo C, and it's supposedly free to use. Is that legit? I don't know who owns the rights to the old Borland stuff.
  6. G

Pascal for DEC RT-11?

Anyone know if there was a Pascal compiler for RT-11, and if a copy is available online? I've searched through my list of sources but haven't found anything.
  7. G

Live Resource Monitor for RSTS?

Does RSTS have a live resource monitor, similar to RMD on RSX-11M? RMD on the RSX system provides a real-time look at system performance, on a video terminal. It would be nice to have something similar on RSTS. SYSTAT is ok, but it's not "live".
  8. G

Programming on vintage computers?

Anyone doing at significant programming on your old iron, beyond the requisite Hello World? I've got BASIC PLUS going on RSTS, and from reading the manual (and my memory, as I used it a lot in college) it's quite capable. I think it would be enjoyable and educational to create some programs...
  9. G

Time to wait for power supply caps to self-discharge?

How long should I wait, to be safe, before opening up a power supply. In this case it's a DEC VAXstation. I am reusing the case, including the power supply enclosure, for a RetroMod (installing a Pi in it). I just want to be sure everything is discharged before cutting up the original supply...
  10. G

ISO DEC DECStation or VAXStation enclosure (no internals needed)

Looking to install a single-board PC into a vintage enclosure. The DECStation and VAXStation enclosures (the short ones such as a VAXStation 3100 or 4000, or DECStation 5000) are the ideal height.
  11. G

Part # for 9-pin connectors for M8043 DLV11J boards?

Does anyone know of a generic 9-pin female plug that I can obtain via Amazon or wherever that will work with the DLV11J output connectors? I know DEC made a ribbon cable that connected the 4-port terminal block to these but I can do with just the separate plugs. I just haven't been able to...
  12. G

Simple data acquisition using RT-11

What would I need to use in order to do some simple data acquisition (dry contact and RTD inputs) and be able to read the status/values via RT-11? Currently I'm running it on simh, so I'm thinking a USB-connected data acquisition module, like this one...
  13. G

simh support forum?

For those of us working on getting real hardware going, and in the interim wanting to simulate, is there a forum here for simh? I'm trying to set up a couple of systems but keep running into dead ends (RT11, RSTS).
  14. G

Can RT-11 be loaded into memory using PDP11GUI?

I've been experimenting with PDP11GUI on my PDP-11/73 and know how to load file images into memory. Is RT-11 tiny enough that I could load it into the memory of the 11/73, and then start it up? Or am I completely off-base with this thinking?
  15. G

QBone in PDP-11 questions

A couple of questions for those who have used the QBone board: 1. Does the board by itself give you Ethernet connectivity (that the PDP-11 OS can utilize) using the BeagleBone's Ethernet port or do you still need a DEC Ethernet card? I'm guessing the latter. 2. Are you able to utilize the...
  16. G

Replacement power switch for DEC BA23 power supply?

Are replacement clear rocker switch covers available somewhere? Mine is cracked and I'd like to replace it.
  17. G

Transferring TK50 media to DVD or CD

Looking ahead, when I get my 11/73 running again I will likely need to restore (using BRU on RSX-11M) a TK50 tape image (of a backup or a virgin loading tape that my company distributed back in the day). This is assuming that my RD53 disk is toast. So I envision doing the BRU from modern media...
  18. G

Modern NUC inside antique case?

I am hoping to get my PDP-11 going again. Only been at it a couple of days and will proceed patiently (very grateful for the help received so far) but if unsuccessful, I'm toying with the idea of removing the cards and power supply (carefully storing them, of course) and installing a NUC inside...
  19. G

Need a bit of help resurrecting my PDP-11/73

This is a machine that I set up years ago at a customer site and acquired after it was replaced with something newer. Last time I had it running was about 15 years ago, it's been in storage since. I took it out and set it up in one of my spare rooms. Carefully vacuumed everything out and...
Back