• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. R

Merry Xmas and a good .....

Man, I'd totally forgotten about those turkeys! Definitely was true of employees at the Mill in Maynard. Merry Christmas all!
  2. R

Apple IIc serial port problems

I recently got my IIc back up and running with some upgrades (ROM 4X installed and a Floppy Emu). Once of the things I've been trying to do with it is to use it as a serial terminal to one of my Ubuntu Linux boxes but I've been having a lot of problems getting it to work so looking for some...
  3. R

DEC units on ebay

Really interesting one that popped up this weekend: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394353278607
  4. R

Bringing an old friend back to life - Apple IIc

I guess but I'm not sure exactly what any of this has to do with my thread. This is my original IIc from when I was a kid and he was giving me advice on restoring/upgrading it for my own use. I have no plans to ever sell it, I just want to use and enjoy it again.
  5. R

I guess I'm looking at it in that it's nothing I wouldn't have done to the IIc when I first got it if these things were available then. I plan to use it and enjoy it so being 100% original to the period is less important to me than that. I'll probably give it a full teardown when the memory...
  6. R

I've played a few on emulators over the years. I guess I should have said that I was looking forward to playing them on the original system again. Yeah, I had looked around at them so I've seen the prices. I got a generic monitor riser that will fit on Amazon and I can just be patient to...
  7. R

I don't have an EPROM writer so I ordered one with the 4X ROM already on it. I do have the memory expansion connector on the motherboard so I also ordered one of the IIc RamExpress cards as long as I was shopping as well as one of the modified laptop AC adapters (just for piece of mind). Made...
  8. R

Just did a PRINT PEEK (64447) and it returned a 3 so looks like it is the ROM 3 version. From what I understand this should be an easy swap to the ROM 4X?
  9. R

I believe mine is the ROM version 3 as it was from late 1986 after the IIgs came out (which I tried to convince my parents to get instead!) and has the platinum keycaps/no rubber keyboard but I'll have to double check.
  10. R

Greetings from San Diego

I've been on the forum for a few weeks now but realized I'd forgotten to take the time to introduce myself. I'm an IT pro (network consulting) and long time computer user/lover. I grew up in Maynard, MA with both of my parents working at Digital Equipment Corporation when I was young. We had...
  11. R

I ordered both last night. I've seen it mentioned but hadn't really looked into it yet. Researching it now. I was also planning on getting one of Ken's modified laptop power supplies on eBay so if I go the 4X route I'll order them at the same time.
  12. R

Finally getting to a project I've been meaning to work on for years. I've owned this IIc since it was new in 1986 but have had it stored in boxes for at least 20 years now. Gave it a full teardown/cleaning and checked over the boards. Reassembled and it fired up like a champ. I'll give it a...
  13. R

Saw this on Reddit - user finds a couple of PDP-8s (as well as a super rare LGP-30) in his grandparent's basement.

Yeah, when it launched they had a big announcement event at the Worcester Centrum. My father worked on PCB layouts and design for both DEC and DG (including the DG-1) so he took our whole family to the event. He had one of the DG-1s that I wish I still had!
  14. R

Saw this on Reddit - user finds a couple of PDP-8s (as well as a super rare LGP-30) in his grandparent's basement.

An aspiring one. I grew up around DEC and Data General systems. Both of my parents worked at DEC when I was a kid and I used them in school (as well as taking high school classes at DEC). My father moved over to Data General in the 80s and worked on the DG-1 (I still remember every detail of...
  15. R

Original Reddit post: Also got picked up on ArsTechnica: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2022/11/redditor-discovers-legendary-1956-computer-in-grandparents-basement/ Thought some of the DECies here would enjoy the story too.
  16. R

Dec ephemera

Some great ephemera here! The belt buckle sure brings back memories for me, I'm nowhere near Maynard anymore but I'll never forget all the time I spent at the mill building. The clock is great too, Maynard High School had a couple of those in the computer lab back when it was all DEC stuff...
Back