• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. rlerner

Texas Wanted: Pentium 2 or 3 machine w/ IDE

Hi all! I am hoping to find a pentium 2 or 3 machine w/ IDE in or around the DFW area. Preferably not in a server form factor. I've checked Craigslist and haven't found a good machine there yet, and I've already burned through a bunch of "shipping" cash buying the wrong machine elsewhere...
  2. rlerner

Compaq 386/20 for Backing Up CHS Disks

I wanted to keep a bit of a log of what I'm doing with this computer and wanted to put it somewhere where folks might be interested and somebody Googling in the future will find it if they need it. I had posted recently that I wanted to back up some old IDE disks and some clues on what I can do...
  3. rlerner

FreeDOS or MS-DOS Low Level Disk Access (byte/block)

Hi all, I am working to back up / image a pile of old hard drives I have (Old CHS IDE mostly, some LBA, one or two MFM). I've ordered a Deskpro 386/20, and my plan is to copy all bytes from these disks into a file (FAT tables, used space, freespace -- all of it. If it's a 512MB drive I want to...
  4. rlerner

Howdy from Dallas, TX

I haven't done a great deal of "Retro" or "Vintage" computing since those machines weren't vintage, started off on an 8088 XT (I think it was the legendary IBM 5150 which is another thing I wish I never tossed). I've partially built a 6502 emulator even though the most I've done with them (and...
  5. rlerner

CHS Drives on modern machines

First of all, really excited to be posting on a forum. It's been years. I have a bunch of old CHS drives that I've been trying to read on a more modern machine, however none of these machines have built in IDE. I haven't had luck with IDE to USB dongles and I've heard some folks say it could...
Back