• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. ElectroArc

Getting A Bootable DOS 2.11 Diskette

So, it would appear that neither IBM PC DOS nor Compaq DOS are 100% compatible? Compaq DOS gives a command.com error for every image I can find, and IBM PC DOS gives Divide by zero spam every time I try to boot to it. I did find that these two work...
  2. ElectroArc

The PC DOS 2.10 in that link did not work. It freaked out, stating "Dividing by zero" forever when booting. Seems like an incompatibility, but just in case I'm trying another copy here: https://winworldpc.com/download/44c2ac7d-cb9c-c2b4-e280-a111c3a4c2ac
  3. ElectroArc

Is there an IBM PC-DOS 2.11? I can't seem to find it. In the meantime, I got three other copies of DOS 2.x: https://www.pcjs.org/software/pcx86/sys/dos/compaq/2.12/ https://archive.org/details/compaqpersonalcomputermsdos212b https://archive.org/details/disk-1_20211002 Both the Compaq ones from...
  4. ElectroArc

All of the DOS 2.x releases on WinWorld appear to be 360k or other odd formats. Perhaps you are thinking of DOS 1.x? They all say they're 320K. Rawrite also really doesn't like 8 sector disks as it can't figure out the sectors per track after a format. After formatting back to 360k, Rawrite...
  5. ElectroArc

I have been using Rawrite. Rawrite made the 3.3 disk perfectly fine, so I assumed it would do the same for others. I stopped using WinImage because of that page error, but I'll try again... And it still doesn't work. WinImage states: This program has performed an illegal operation and will be...
  6. ElectroArc

The drive mechanism is very peculiar, so I don't really have the ability to lube the head mechanism with my current methods (the whole head assembly is basically inside the motor: Adrian's Digital Basement repair video). I did, however, test all 3 drives not that long ago and found all 3 to be...
  7. ElectroArc

I tried making a DOS 2.12 boot disk from a Compaq image, but I keep getting the error bad or missing Command Interpreter on both my 98 PC and the Pivot II. I'm pretty sure all Compaq machines were 100% IBM compatible because that was Compaq's whole deal. Does anyone know how to fix this? And...
  8. ElectroArc

Wait, I believe I figured out why they wouldn't work. I actually have the wrong computer. I have a Morrow Pivot II, not a Morrow Pivot. The difference is the screen, which would make the original OS incompatible. I believe that would explain why the Morrow DOS isn't working. I got the version...
  9. ElectroArc

The drive I am using is a 360k drive. It's one I pulled from a spare Zenith 171 I have, so it should be 100% compatible with the drives in my Pivot II. Are those supposed to be file links? Because they're just text. Could you go into more detail on Samdisk? I've also downloaded fdimage 1.06...
  10. ElectroArc

I forgot to mention that I tested WinImage with a DOS 3.11 image, and it worked on the 98 machine. But, unfortunately, it won't fit on a 360k diskette. Unless someone knows how to shave it down. I would still really prefer one of the original operating systems though.
  11. ElectroArc

Hello everyone, I've been trying to create a bootable DOS diskette for my Morrow Pivot II, but nothing seems to work. I've been trying to use these two images: (Morrow Pivot DOS) https://winworldpc.com/download/13c2a959-c3b4-c2bf-c2b4-11c3a6c2bb2a (Osborn 3 DOS)...
  12. ElectroArc

Can't figure out 360K floppy drive

Well, I just don't know what to do. Nothing makes sense. I do something that shows results, get results, and then it stops working. I even retraced my steps, but the results are different. Removing the spring does result in better reads, but it refuses to read more than 4 sectors again. Part...
  13. ElectroArc

Sorry guys, false alarm. No happy ending. The drive said "LOL JK 🤣" and reverted back to its previous state. I'm at a loss for what to do here, and I think I'm gonna give up. This isn't worth any more time I think. I'll just have to buy a different drive. Thanks for the help guys. Sorry it...
  14. ElectroArc

This is the logic I came up with in my head. When metal is bent and shifted, its atoms can shift and move closer together, making the metal more rigid. The resting position of the long end on the spring faces 6 o'clock, while the small end faces 9 o'clock. When bent into place over the head...
  15. ElectroArc

Alright, big update guys. One month later, and I think I finally got it. Today, I turned it on and did the usual stuff. Erase, format, test, erase, format, test, blah blah blah. Nothing worked. Soooo... I got desperate. I felt that it clearly had something to do with the head, as there wasn't...
  16. ElectroArc

Could it be possible that my multi-meter is reading a short because something in the spindle motor is depleting the current from it immediately? Or is a short reading a sign that it is bad?
  17. ElectroArc

Perhaps the multiplier is just first? If the colors are actually (Brown) Green Orange Orange, that would make it 5.33K ohm. With the tolerance at 2% (red), is a reading of 5.45 within 2%? Factory error maybe? The manual of my multi-meter also states that if the measured resistance is infinite...
  18. ElectroArc

We must be wrong. There's one right above it (C105) that's exactly the same, and that one is reading 5.45 KOhm. I don't see how it could be though with those colors 🤔 Side note: is it even possible to make a 222m ohm or 233m ohm resistor that small? That seems like a really high resistance.
  19. ElectroArc

That looks like 233MOhm, yeah? Red Orange Orange Blue Brown is 233*1MOhm I think, unless I'm being a dummy
  20. ElectroArc

Here's a closer look. You can see the dents from where I jammed the probes to try to get them to read. Bothers me too lol. That's why I brought them up, but they seem fine after poking them.
Back