• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. D

VCF Phoenix?

Has there ever been thought to having a VCF show in Phoenix or even Tucson? The closest shows are Southwest in Texas and West in Northern CA and now VCF SoCal in the LA area but it would be great if there was something within driving distance of Phoenix. Even Las Vegas would be better than the...
  2. D

Packard Bell 486SX/25 "Multi-Media Supreme" Not POSTing

I believe mine has only socketed RAM and I've changed it out with what I think is good but who knows.
  3. D

Packard Bell 486SX/25 "Multi-Media Supreme" Not POSTing

And here's another person wondering about the Shutdown Failure message. I have a PB Multi-Media with a Kingston 586 that won't get past the initial messages. Just like the others it will attempt to boot but fail if you press F1 and lock up if you press F2. anyone ever figure this out?
  4. D

CompaqDeskpro 2000 Diagnostic and Startup disks needed (non-MMX)

I got a Compaq Deskpro 2000 P166 WITHOUT MMX yesterday and it was apparently owned by the FAA. It had a multi-serial card plus another serial/lpt card plus the built-in one. It runs just fine but of course the battery was dead so I replaced it (why do they solder them in). It needs the date set...
  5. D

PS/2 Model 50Z Boot Help

Yes, I've tried both of the reference disks on Ardent Tool. I am not able to boot any of my PS/2s which makes me think it's something with the Tex-elec adapter. I do have some PCBs I had PCBWay make so just waiting on the resistors to arrive to try one. Should be fun soldering the 0603s on. I do...
  6. D

PS/2 Model 50Z Boot Help

Heres what I get using the xtide and that CF boots on everything else.
  7. D

PS/2 Model 50Z Boot Help

I used rawwritewin to burn the image. I did it on a USB floppy drive. Maybe I should try it with a real floppy from a DOS machine. I've also used a Gotek with the image but no booting from it either.
  8. D

PS/2 Model 50Z Boot Help

Thanks for the reply. The battery is actually a funky looking one but I replaced it already. The floppy drive is an ALPS and I have not recapped it. I've seen a website talking about how to do it. The drive is also kinda stuck. If I put a floppy in it the carriage does not drop down. I think it...
  9. D

PS/2 Model 50Z Boot Help

I bought a Model 50Z a few months ago and I finally got around to working on it today. The power supply didn't seem to power up so I troubleshot today and found a shorted tantalum cap on the -12V rail. I removed the cap and have some on order but I figured it should boot now. With the stock...
  10. D

What is this card?

I was thinking it was a joystick card. You guys always come through on the obscure stuff. Now how can I test it? I have various joysticks and at least one is analog but Checkit doesn't see a joystick.
  11. D

What is this card?

It's a 15-pin D-sub. A joystick plugs in but I don't know how to test a joystick port. Somebody said Checkit will do it with no drivers but I've not been able to do that even when I know it's a game port like on a sound card.
  12. D

What is this card?

I bought a 286 class Samsung machine and it had this card in it. It looks like a Gameport connector but it doesn't look like it has enough ICs to be that. Hopefully someone here recognizes it. It has no part number and the only thing it really says is Made In Taiwan R.O.C.
  13. D

PS/2 Model 30 286 keyboard fuse

Thanks! I joined and posted but of course the post is awaiting moderation.
  14. D

Thanks! I found one on Amazon. It's not cheap and doesn't ship all that fast. For now I'm just jumping it to make sure the machine works, and it does. Is there a BIOS like newer machines or does it need a setup disk?
  15. D

I just got one of these and when it posts it throws a 305 error which is a blown keyboard fuse. I'm trying to find it but I'm just not sure I have. I did find a soldered-in component labeled F1 which seems like it but would they really solder one in? If anyone knows I would be very...
  16. D

5.25" Mitsumi D509V5 Problems

I have cleaned the heads. I'll run an eraser over the edge connector and report back. Thanks!
  17. D

5.25" Mitsumi D509V5 Problems

I have a D509V5 and once I figured out how to use ImageDisk I was able to run some tests. When testing speed it varies between 310-340. I believe since it's a 1.2MB it should be running at 360. When I do the alignment test it has problems at low and high number tracks but seems almost okay in...
  18. D

5170 battery damaged MB

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. Once the components are off I think it should be minimal repair.
  19. D

5170 battery damaged MB

Yes. Removing it and spraying it with some Deoxit was the first thing I did but it looked so bad I put it aside until today when I watched a YT video of a guy repairing a motherboard. I'm hopeful once I unsolder and remove most of the components there that the traces won't be as bad as I first...
Back