• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. T

Advice on backup/clone of AIX 3.2.5 on RS/6000 Model 320...

Hi, I used a Seagate 4/8GB 4mm DDS-2 SCSI Tape Drive (STD28000N) with mksysb to make a bootable tape image of the rootvg. I then tested restoring that to actual SCSI drives and it worked. I still can't restore to ZuluSCSI SD drives, which would be my preference, but I'm now resting easy...
  2. T

That's where I am as well. AIX 3.2.5 has nice clean tools for backup/restore/clone from tape, and I can get a tape drive + 500MB worth of tapes for about $100, so that's where I'm heading!
  3. T

Hi, I was thinking of this as well (extend, mirror then break), but got spooked at the idea of even touching the existing two physical volumes (or metadata about them either in OS files, NVRAM, etc). If I mess up those two disks I'll lose some software that I can't find anywhere to reinstall.
  4. T

Hi. I have a mint IBM RS/6000 7012-320 that I have enjoyed using to recreate some software I wrote WAY back in 1990 in college. The HW and OS are all configured perfectly, so I want to be protected with a good backup so if/when the SCSI drives die I can continue on with a ZuluSCSI or SCSI2SD...
  5. T

Sun 3/80 - Need replacement capacitor recommendation

Thanks for everybody's help. I desoldered one and measured the physical dimensions (7mmx4mmx2.5mm) and this looks like the exact match: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KEMET/T491D336K016AT?qs=2Dzs5xnho3bnhWUcx2Y6ww%3D%3D&countryCode=US&currencyCode=USD Funny how a $0.81 cap can bring...
  6. T

Sun 3/80 - Need replacement capacitor recommendation

Hi there. I recently acquired a Sun 3/80 and it has a bunch of little yellow rectangle surface mount capacitors with "336" "16" and a "K" stamped on top, and 4mm x 6mm dimension. One of caps is clearly burning (see pic). I need to replace this cap (and perhaps more) but could really use a...
  7. T

HP-85a w/ HP-IB Interface (82937A) POST Error 114

SOLVED. I opened up the case to see the jumper settings inside the adapter and the "system controller" switch had been changed from the default, which is to let the computer be the system controller. You would only change that setting if you had more than one HP-IB controller on the bus. I...
  8. T

HP-85a w/ HP-IB Interface (82937A) POST Error 114

Hi There. I have an HP-85a that works perfectly...except, I just recently purchased an HP-IB interface card for it so I could connect it to my HP 9121B disk drive. I have the 00085-15001 Mass Storage ROM in my ROM Drawer. When I power up the machine I get an "Error 114:" then a cursor. I did...
  9. T

IBM Powerstation 220

Solved. Tried yet another CD-ROM drive and it was able to boot. So to recap: DEC RRD43, which I believe is a rebranded Toshiba XM-4101B - NO BOOT SONY CDU76S - NO BOOT Plextor PLEXwriter 8/20 - BOOT!!!! Currently installing...
  10. T

IBM Powerstation 220

The slot 1 board is a 128 Port Async Adapter Type 3-7 (43G0924). If I remove the board it doesn't change the boot behavior. SELECT BOOT (STARTUP) DEVICE Select the device to BOOT (Startup) this machine. WARNING: If you are using Token-Ring, selection of an incorrect data rate can result...
  11. T

IBM Powerstation 220

Yeah, the Secure->200->Service->Reset is in the AIX 3.2.5 installation guide. One revision of the installation guide says "Reset within 5 secs", another revision says "double tap Reset", regardless, it doesn't change the behavior. When I power up in Service mode: ... 253 (Service mode IPL...
  12. T

IBM Powerstation 220

Yes, in Service mode. Found one document from IBM that says boot in Secure mode, then when LED reads 200 switch key to Service mode and press Reset within 5 seconds, then select Boot from menu. Did that, didn't work. Found another document that says Secure->200->Service->Double tap Reset, did...
  13. T

IBM Powerstation 220

@drg, what model Plextor CD-ROM did you use when you got it to successfully boot? I have now tested with a Sony CD-ROM and it still won't boot. The ROM diag can "see" the CD-ROM and it reports the SCSI ID properly (ID 6), but it just won't boot from the dang thing...frustrating.
  14. T

IBM Powerstation 220

Once I get the CD-ROM boot figured out I'm going to use AIX 3.2.5. The 220 requires 3.2.1 minimum. I also have 4.1.5 as another option. I had an internship when I was in college back in the early 90's where I did programming for an X Windows traffic monitoring system on RS/6000s. I'm...
  15. T

IBM Powerstation 220

SOLVED. My SCSI cable was "keyed" backwards. I saw in a different thread on a different topic that the person flipped the cable around (after filing off the little tab to prevent plugging it in backwards) and their SCSI issue was solved. I tried it, bingo, now the RS/6000 recognizes the hard...
  16. T

IBM Powerstation 220

The CD-ROM is a DEC RRD43, which I believe is a rebranded Toshiba XM-4101B (SCSI ID 4) The Hard Drive is a 1GB Seagate ST31230N (SCSI ID 0) I didn't like that blinking light either, and the fact that it doesn't waver from its steady blink even when the machine should be trying to see if it has...
  17. T

IBM Powerstation 220

A couple of additional notes to add on to my previous post: 1) I've been booting the system with the key in the "Service" position. I've also tried "Normal". I've tried "Secure" then switch to Service after seeing 200 in the display and pressing Reset, pressing Reset twice, etc per the...
  18. T

IBM Powerstation 220

Hi, I found this (admittedly old) thread because I'm having trouble with my newly acquired RS/6000 POWERserver 220 (7011-220) recognizing and booting from SCSI. Hoping those who helped with OP could lend me some advice as well. My problem is similar, but where the OP eventually was successful...
Back