• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. M

Edit/Debug Pacioli 2000 for Y2K Compatibility

Thank you for the advice! Yeah I'm not gonna hold out toooo much hope this will be successful but I'll treat it as a learning experience. I am highly motivated (and stubborn enough) to get some form of accounting software to run with today's dates on real vintage hardware. I think with how old...
  2. M

Edit/Debug Pacioli 2000 for Y2K Compatibility

Hi, Not sure if this belongs here or on the tech support side. I am looking for advice on learning to debug DOS programs. In particular I would love to patch some old accounting software so that it can handle dates from the 2000's and allow transactions past 1999. It uses two digit years (I'd...
  3. M

Rocky Mountains Peachtree Complete Accounting, ca. 1992 interest?

Thank you to the mods for moving this for me :)
  4. M

Rocky Mountains Peachtree Complete Accounting, ca. 1992 interest?

I know it's a long shot buuuuut would any of you gentleman happen to have any of the last few editions of the peachtree accounting for DOS you'd be willing to part with? Or any Y2K compliant accounting software at that haha. Mostly for playing around on my 5170 and helping my sister. Just hard...
  5. M

IBM 5170 Hangs on Boot, any line in Config.sys that is "Device="

Been installing additional programs, cards, and ram since then. So far so good! I haven't noticed any more apparent CF corruption, obvious or otherwise so fingers crossed it holds up!
  6. M

Hi all! Thank you all for your help. The new SanDisk CF card worked like a dream. Everything loads at startup as it should after a fresh install of PC DOS. I misread the cards I got as 128 mb and 64 mb but it was gigs haha. I figure that will stave off degradation from write cycles anyhow. I...
  7. M

I am using the CF card that came with the XT-IDE, I was hoping it would be compatible if it came from the company that assembled the card and installed the initial DOS 6.22. It is a CISCO systems 128 MB card. It does look a little weathered and dirty. I will pass by Micro center today, they have...
  8. M

Replacing the files from the floppy did not help them load. I noticed though I can reboot from a hung system without a power cycle now. May be coincidental though.
  9. M

That is very informative, thank you! I still have two cross linked files on the drive, DATAMON.EXE and my autoexec in root. When I ran CHKDSK the first time the output went so fast I missed the pause button. But the cross links and allocation errors were pretty extensive in the DOS directory. I...
  10. M

Alright update time! So I ran CHKDSK and wow the errors. Check disk was able to correct them, total damage was 4096 bytes of bad sectors, so not too bad at all. I started with a few text files and checked after each one. Then I copied over some drivers and I installed SIMCITY and ran it. No...
  11. M

I am having a hard time on mobile trying to quote properly haha. The Phoenix BIOS came with the machine. Since this came from commercial use I'm assuming the business had a need for it. Though I hadn't considered if something had happened and corrupted the original BIOS chips. Unfortunate I...
  12. M

Yes exactly so. Setup completed with no errors. I had to press F8 and skip the "device=" lines in config.sys as well. It defaulted to himem and setver. Both hang. I installed the PC DOS shell to try but that hangs in the autoexec.bat so I skipped it and went back to only command.com. with those...
  13. M

I have run into this but have since corrected. If I know the image size I can write to 720K or 1.44M. I have known good of each, 10 and 25 respectively. Greaseweazel for 5.25", and also I have a GOTEK when I need USB. Agreed. I think the "weirdness" I am seeing is just third party BIOS not...
  14. M

I underestimated the power of a floppy boot to do that much damage. I have a legit version of 3.3 but I would prefer new enough for the mem management and seeing my whole 128 mb CF card as one partition. I have (I think) good copies of DOS 6 and the upgrade to 6.22 as well as PC-DOS 7 (2000). I...
  15. M

Well, I am starting to worry there is something more wrong with the 5170 than I anticipated. Even from a floppy with nothing but 512K on the mobo I cannot seems to load any device drivers now. I can't really describe it because the Everex EMM driver (From C: on the XT-IDE) would pop up maybe...
  16. M

Ahhhh makes sense. So if I want to run the config.sys from the boot floppy to test if my XT-IDE is causing the issues I need to expand one of those files on the floppy first. Or would it be better to load one of the already uncompressed files as a test, like keyboard.sys?
  17. M

So I went ahead and pulled the card and ran the ROM setup. Still hangs on Setver. I noticed that ant XMS or EMS drivers I can still CTRL ALT DEL. Setver is always a hard lock that requires a power cycle. On that last dos install I had it bypassed it saying bad or missing setver from the install...
  18. M

Thank you for the suggestion! So I realized I had disabled the EMS IO when I was going for all XMS. I went ahead and switched it on and I think I got an error related to this. "No usable page frame found" default is C400. It loads more reliably than HIMEM but the minute I specify any parameters...
  19. M

Hi all, Recently made my account and intro post. Finally getting around to asking for some help. I have a 5170 with a type II motherboard and Phoenix BIOS and the 6 Mhz CPU. I have a Monotech XT-IDE rev 4 with a 128 CF card. Recently replaced a bad RAM card with an Everex EV-159, set up to...
  20. M

Hello from Colorado

Do you have an IBM 5154 EGA monitor? I couldn't even find a broken one! I ended up settling for an EGA card rendering 16 colors at lower resolution on a 5153 CGA monitor.
Back