• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. thisisamigaspeaking

Anyone who has built up a microchannel system with sound, compact flash, ethernet, etc., was it worth it?

I'm considering investing in some MCA parts. Sound, compact flash, ethernet, or maybe video instead of ethernet. Does anyone who has such a system find it worthwhile? I guess the nostalgia I feel for them is my own question, and I do tend to like alternative bus architecture systems a lot. I...
  2. thisisamigaspeaking

IBM 8513 black screen, tips?

First, I assume it is necessary to safely discharge these and they are not self-discharging? I am going to try the alligator clip and screwdriver. I don't anticipate wanting a lot of other CRTs than this so I'm not sure I want to invest in a HV probe. It's a 23 serial number. From Frank Reid's...
  3. thisisamigaspeaking

Dallas DS1287 battery hack - necessary to disconnect internal battery?

I'm looking at doing a battery hack on my DS1287 because a DS12887 didn't seem to work in a PS/2 55SX. My question is if I am going to be "charging" the original internal battery with the new external and if that is a problem?
  4. thisisamigaspeaking

IBM PS/2 AVE vs BVE MCA graphics card slot differences, does XGA work in an AVE slot?

I'm having trouble with google searches finding the real differences between AVE and BVE. Will a BVE card fit in an AVE slot? What are the differences between the slots? Also, any idea why IBM chose to make the AVE slots 16-bit on 32-bit systems like the Model 70 and 80? Seems like a curious...
  5. thisisamigaspeaking

Mid Atlantic Cyrix CXr486SRx² 386SX to CX486SLC 20/40MHz snap-on upgrade for surface mount CPU - $100-200?

I got a PS/2 55SX (1988 BIOS) with one of these installed and the system would not post. Turns out these are only compatible with 1991 and later 386SX-16 or -20 boards so it will not work on a 1988 386SX-16. As far as functionality, all I know is that when it was installed it put off heat like...
  6. thisisamigaspeaking

PS/2 55SX - is this a 486SLC upgrade?

Can't find any pictures of something like this, I am guessing it is a 486SLC upgrade? System isn't working right now, needs a good cleaning and Dallas replacement at the least.
  7. thisisamigaspeaking

Run IBM XT or AT diagnostics disk on clone system?

Is it possible to run the IBM diagnostic disk on a clone system? I get an error message that it is only for IBM XT and AT. I'm trying to test a PGC card.
  8. thisisamigaspeaking

NuXT onboard video stopped outputting signal

Messing around trying to get a video card working in a slot, now my onboard video doesn't output anything. I've restored dip switch 1 and 2 to on (VGA/EGA) and switch 7 to on (enable onboard video) and the system boots fine. Just no video. Is it supposed to halt when there is no video? I've...
  9. thisisamigaspeaking

PGC issues, displays only blue in CGA emulation

Wanted to get some feedback here before I go any further. My PGC powers and the CGA emulation does work, but it displays only blue. At first it was very dim, and I think it actually displayed only green (or maybe it was just very hard to see). It only works on one of my two LCDs that are...
  10. thisisamigaspeaking

Deoxit D5 vs. CRC QD Electronic Cleaner

I wasn't familiar with Deoxit until recently and have always used CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. Most of the information I can find relates to audio gear rather than computers. Here's my understanding so far: For something with old spill damage (for example) and corrosion, Deoxit would work better...
  11. thisisamigaspeaking

Truevision TARGA+ half populated VRAM, possible to populate remainder?

I'm basically gathering up any graphics cards I can get at a reasonable price, primarily 24-bit and accelerated cards. Got this TARGA+ for cheap, but it only has half the RAM it looks like. How likely is it to work if I just populate the remainder of the modules? Anyone done that kind of thing...
  12. thisisamigaspeaking

Any experience with ISA risers?

Looking at this: https://www.tindie.com/products/spark2k06/8-bit-isa-riser-olivetti-prodest-pc1/ Any reason that could be a problem? I want to put a couple low profile cards on the same slot (RTC, EMS). How about for a more power hungry 2-slot board like an IBM PGC, would one of these work...
  13. thisisamigaspeaking

NuXT 1.2, move 32K VGA ROM to either main flash chip or option ROM socket?

If I needed to clear up C0000-C8000 (location of SVGA bios on a NuXT 1.2) might it work to just move the chip over to the option ROM socket (and set it to D0000)? How about flashing it into the 32k free space in the flash chip used for the system BIOS (located at F4000-FA000)? Will the XT-IDE...
  14. thisisamigaspeaking

PGC disks (diagnostic utility)? Anyone written software for it?

Does anyone have the original disks for a PGC? I have found the drivers (and ROMs) but not the diagnostic utility. Thanks.
Back