• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

£3000 for a PDP8e Front Panel!!

bobaboba

Experienced Member
On EBay in the UK
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-...rentrq:51f7c85c1680ad4829ac35cdfff1ded3|iid:1

This seller is pretty notorious for ridiculously high priced parts which generally don’t sell but £3000+ for an untested ‘grubby’ pdp8e front panel with a nasty looking crack or scratch and missing switch? Ridiculous, I’d only expect about that for one of my complete machines. I wonder if he includes the bulbs? Apparently you DO get the cables (whatever they are).

To be honest, I've seen a lot of biddings on Ebay from
people with obviously more money than sense...
So I think the seller is looking for these guys :D

I couldn't resist so I made a "Make offer" suggestion. I offered him 299 GBP for it, which is far to much for the front. But he turned it down. I don't have a PDP-8/E but I really want one. But I wouldn't pay 3000 GBP for a complete machine even if it was super expanded and in working condition.

That small 8/I went for about 3000 GBP some time ago.

It's a nice panel, but what do I know I don't collect DEC. I suppose if I did and were desperate I'd pay 200$ US. But ~4,500$ is maniacal and absurd.

Relisted at at almost £2000 (actually looks as though he’s used a random number generator). Ludicrous - possibly worth £250-500 maximum in decent condition but who knows.

Strange prices!

Recently I paid Euro 500 for a PDP-8/E in a rack together with two RX02 and a puncher. Sure, I had to pick it up.
That one was on ebay and also offered to a museum in 2017. It was not sold and donation to the museum faild because they had no time to pick it up.
I had one offered for Euro 600 the year before, just the CPU box.

//Peter

I have never seen a whole PDP-8 on e-bay UK

The last 8/e I saw on eBay UK was a couple of years ago together with a host of spares and a small pdp11 (I think Mr. Mossman bought it). Prior to that I remember several but more recently only 8/As have been around (I’m aware of someone who bought 2 not long ago). There hasn’t been a scramble for this panel though. I offered a lower bid but he declined.

Back