• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

1979 Revision 3 Apple ][ with Laser UDC

HoJoPo

Veteran Member
I just picked up an Apple ][ off of eBay, it supposedly had a bad power supply and the keyboard was typing 5 or more different keys per keypress. Power supply works fine (maybe it got jostled in shipping?), the keyboard was definitely bad. This isn't the first time it's had keyboard issues, the keyboard is a later "The Keyboard Company" model with textured keys. I robbed the encoder out of my ][plus, and that fixed the issue.

Keeping it original, I also removed the lower case modification that was in it, and put it in my ][plus. I ordered an "Apple 2 Super Encoder" from Briel, that should fix up the plus, and I'll have to swap the keyboards to put the older style in the ][.

Anyway, on to the ][. The motherboard was made in the 11th week of 1979 (7911 written on it), putting it in March 1979 production. It's actually pretty clean, and looks to have been well taken care of. Serial number is A2S1-22365. I also picked up a Programmer's Aid I PROM from eBay, it passed over an hour of running the full 48k RAM test last night.

There's a Microsoft 16k card in slot 0, and it came with an Apple Parallel interface in slot 2, with C.Itoh centronics cable. I left the printer interface out for now, I have a Silentype and controller to go with it.

I had just picked up a Laser UDC from Dr. Buggie on eBay, along with a couple of Apple 3.5 drives. Since the instructions that came with the UDC said it is compatible with the ][plus, //e and IIgs, I decided to give it a try... and it works! I was able to boot up Copy II Plus from 3.5 floppy after typing 5,CTRL-P,RETURN at the monitor. :) Both 3.5 drives on slot 5 and a pair of Disk ][s on slot 6 work perfectly. The UDC will be living in one of my //es (probably the platinum one, though I might put the superdrive controller in it).

Rev 3 Open.jpgRev 3 Operating.jpgRev 3 Part Num.jpg

I'll be taking the early rainbow-cabled disk ][ drives from my plus and putting them on this, along with the silentype. I'm pretty well going to leave it as a stock ][, and put all the bells and whistles on the plus. Other than finding a vintage monitor to go with it (and maybe another system saver), this system is pretty much complete.

Back