• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

24MB Amiga 2000?

KevinO

Experienced Member
I haven't owned an Amiga 2000 in years, but I recently acquired two from a guy who was clearing out his collection. I opened up the first one, looking for the dreaded leaking battery, which I found and cleaned up. But the thing that really surprised me was that there's 8MB RAM on the GVP SCSI card, and two more 8MB RAM cards installed. I remember enough to know that you can't have more than 8MB fast ram on an Amiga 2000, so I'm wondering if there was some oddball way these could have been used, or did the guy just not know any better? It does have an '020 accelerator (some brand I'd never heard of and can't recall offhand), but to address the extra RAM that an accelerator is capable of you had to have that RAM on the accelerator itself....right?

It only shows 8MB chip RAM, BTW.

I think the limit of 8MB was for the 68000 chip itself. Accelerators had RAM on the board because ZORRO 2 bus transfers are pretty slow, not because there was a limitation.

I think you need to enable the accelerator to see the extra RAM.

Not sure how to "enable" the accelerator. It's on when it's plugged in. I know you can disable it on some of them by holding down mouse buttons on startup.

Back