• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

286 Memory Management

bugman2112

Experienced Member
I believe that DOS memory expanders did not become widely popular until the 386 because of the architecture of the processors? But I do see references to software that does seem to make extra memory available to programs (DOS 16/M?). But I have not been able to find anything to download that is compatable with my 286(IBM, 8mhzt). Any pointers, suggestions? I do have a BOCARAM card that my BIOS seems to recognize fine and I can run diagnostics to check the memory.

You might try QRAM which is a high-memory manager designed expressly for 80286-class processors. It will allow you to maximize available memory below the 640K barrier by loading resident drivers and such into high memory.

OK, Thanks. I found QRAM and downloaded it. I will try it tonight when I get home. Some literature I read indicates that I might need a proprietary driver for this to work on my BOCARAM/AT. I hope that is not the case, since I have not been able to locate this driver.

IIRC DRDos 5 up had some interesting 286 memory management features. Later MS/PC DOSs 5.0 and up of course could load bits n bobs into high memory.

Back