• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

2x Olivetti M240 (AT&T 6300 WGS) for sale in Germany and the UK

AlexC

Experienced Member
I have two of these for sale. The one in Germany I can vouch for as in very good condition and fully working:

10MHz 8086 CPU
640KB RAM
20MB hard drive (surprisingly quiet)
5.25-inch 360KB floppy drive
EGA graphics card
Original keyboard (German layout)

AT&T DOS 3.30a installed and various other bits and pieces.

Keyboard and PC only, no monitor, etc.

The one in the UK I bought as a spare and have never seen in the flesh, as it's being stored at a friend's house. Spec is as the German one except that its hard drive won't spin up (stiction?) and it has a UK keyboard layout, still the original Olivetti one. I don't know what's installed on that one. Its PSU is apparently a bit whistly but that may be due to the lack of load (or excessive load?) from the stuck hard drive.

Both of these have real-time clocks built-in from the factory. I've removed the battery from the German one (would replace it if I had a soldering iron here) but not the UK one. Because the batteries are mounted upside-down underneath the motherboard, any leaks are harmless and just drip into the base tray, so there's no trace damage.

I can take photos of the one in Germany and I still have the ebay pics from the UK one, so if anyone's interested in buying one/both of these machines, let me know.

Unlike the M24, the M240 is properly PC-compatible and you can use standard 8-bit ISA cards as is, so these can be upgraded to VGA, XT-IDE, etc. There's plenty of info and software online (partly thanks to Trixter from these forums).

They aren't light so shipping won't be cheap, but shouldn't be too painful within Europe.

Edited to add: not sure what they're worth so feel free to make offers on either one. I'd like them to go to good homes.

Photos of the UK machine. My mistake: it actually has a 3.5-inch drive which I'm assuming is 1.44MB, since these machines supported such drives natively.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

These photos are from the previous owner's ebay auction. As noted above, I haven't seen this machine in the flesh as it's being stored by a friend. He'll ship it to whoever buys it from me.

And photos of the German machine.

s-1600.jpg

s-16001.jpg

s-16002.jpg

s-16004.jpg

s-16005.jpg

Olivetti printer included for free if the buyer wants it, though I haven't tested it and there are some small plastic pieces that snapped off it in transit, from the cover, etc. Should be repairable with superglue.

s-16003.jpg

Just out of interest, where in the UK is the UK one located?

Back