• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

3COM 3C509B 3c5x9cfg.exe command to reset ROM enable/address?

DeanoC

I stupidly set the BOOT rom address of a ISA 3COM 3C509B to D0000h which conflicts with my VGA card (I was having a bad day?!). With both in BIOS correctly beeps about no video, but I think continues if I ignore it but no display.

I do have a MDA card and monitor but they are in the To Be Tested pile, particularly the monitor.

I can blind type from dos and the 3c5x9cfg.exe has a command line interface but the manual doesn't actually give you the commands...

Anyone know how to disable or move the BOOT address from CLI?

I’m pretty sure you can just remove the EPROM and then change the address.

I had an issue changing the address because I had it loading a BIOS extension that was in use, so the config program would crash when trying to set a different address. I just pulled the chip out, set another range, and then put it back in. (With power off, I didn’t do these things hot)

Why would a boot ROM at D000h conflict with a VGA card? My system has its EMS page frame there, and VGA just works.
Can you try using a different video card instead?

You can type blindly "CTTY COM1" to switch DOS to use COM1 instead - if you have a null-modem cable, this may work for you. Only handles TTY-style output, no graphical / pseudographical applications.

Back