• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

486dx CHIPS and Technologies motherboard

hvivani

Hey there,
Trying to confirm this motherboard is CHIPS and Technologies (1st time I hear about this manufacturer), and maybe get a manual if anybody can point me to it.

I got it back to life after repairing a couple traces that were causing short circuit in the 12V line (see repaired traces on the left of the Bios)

IMG_0754.jpg

Now I am dealing with what I think are memory errors (10 long beeps after memory check starts)

IMG_0753.jpg

Bios ID 40-0200-DN1429-00101111-050591-PEAKDM_B-F.

IMG_0755.jpg

Anybody knows any history bout this motherboard?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Trying to confirm this motherboard is CHIPS and Technologies (1st time I hear about this manufacturer),
Chips and Technologies (C&T) is the company that made the 'chipset' that is fitted to your motherboard.

Lots of motherboard makers chose a C&T chipset for their motherboard. For example, the motherboard pictured at [here] was made by the Elitegroup Computer Systems (ECS) company. And for that motherboard, ECS chose the AMI company for the BIOS chips, and AMI for the keyboard controller chip.

Thanks for clarifying. I don't see any identifier of the manufacturer on mine. So I guess it is just another 'generic'.
I thought that the Bios Id would give me a hint, but couldn't find any references to DN1429 which I think should identify the manufacturer (assuming the chip was not swapped)

Now I am dealing with what I think are memory errors (10 long beeps after memory check starts)
If (repeat: if) the 'AMI Beeps' section of the document at [here] is applicable to your AMI BIOS, then 10 beeps equates to 'CMOS RAM shutdown register failure'.

That is not referring to banks of RAM on the motherboard. It is referring to the CMOS/RTC chip on the motherboard, a chip that has some bytes of RAM in it. In one of those bytes of RAM, the BIOS stores the 'CPU shutdown status/reason' and AMI are referring to that byte as the 'shutdown register'.

In the IBM AT, the CMOS/RTC chip is an MC146818. On your motherboard, the CMOS/RTC functionality is just part of the functionality that is within the large F82C356 chip (the F82C356 being part of the CS82310 chipset).

'CMOS RAM shutdown register failure' does not necessarily mean that the F82C356's RAM has failed, or that the F82C356 has completely failed. Maybe the F82C356 is fully functional, with there being some more faulty traces to be discovered.

'CMOS RAM shutdown register failure' does not necessarily mean that the F82C356's RAM has failed, or that the F82C356 has completely failed. Maybe the F82C356 is fully functional, with there being some more faulty traces to be discovered.
If it was my motherboard, one check that I would be doing is verifying that there is about +5 volts present on all eight VCC pins of the 82C356, being very very careful not to short out adjacent pins during the measurement.

1709013462855.png

Recommend you remove that onboard battery and use something external. They always leak eventually.

Your POST card appears to be suffering from a problem that I see on my same-model POST card, that is, some of the segments in the LED display have failed.
I have three of those (same model), and two of the three have some failed LED segments (failed after purchase).
Your card appears to have many failed LED segments.

Your POST card appears to be suffering from a problem that I see on my same-model POST card, that is, some of the segments in the LED display have failed.
I have three of those (same model), and two of the three have some failed LED segments (failed after purchase).
Your card appears to have many failed LED segments.
Yeah. Started failing after a few days… currently searching for another model. Fingers crossed. Thanks again!

Back