• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

4P CRT swap

mloewen

Experienced Member
My 4P currently has the white CRT. Is it possible to simply swap out the white one for a green CRT, or does the green CRT require a different sweep PCB? Are the CRTs still available?

To the best of my knowledge, the phosphor color of the tube makes no electrical difference, although it might have a SMALL affect on brightness settings. For example, I could get green, amber, or old-timey white (actually, kind of blue) tubes for my ADM-3 terminals (I chose white). I could get green, amber, or “paper” white for my DEC VT-320’s. I changed those to white because I don’t like amber and VT-320’s were available in those colors when new. No adjustments were needed.

My advice would be to get a mfr and part number OFF OF THE TUBE (NOT from a service manual, the suppliers changed often back then and there may be board component differences depending on supplier), then contact a CRT supplier like VDC in Tucker GA. Call, they have a terrible website but never failed me.

Also, be careful!

Last edited:
I happen to have them available with the Yoke assembly attached .... just swap the 2 assemblies

For more information visit my website at plaidvest.com/newsoft

Thanks

I picked up a green CRT from Jay's site, and made the swap this evening. Works great! While I was in there, I proactively replaced the large RIFA cap in the power supply.

Before:
Model4P-White.jpg

During:
Model4P-CRTs.jpg

After:
Model4P-Green.jpg

Back