• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

4P motherboard

veco

Experienced Member
Hi.

I recently acquired a 4P. The motherboard has a mod with 2 wires on the eprom. (Machine has a low serial number). I dumped the eprom, and it's the regular one. Therefore, I wonder if this mod is genuine or not. (I intend to hack the 4P rom to add a better FreHD support)

.jpg

Anybody in the same situation ?

-Fred

I have at least one of those 4P boards here, it looks like an early non-gate-array (26-1080, not 26-1080A) board, and it has the same rom modification, so I think it might have been a factory conversion.

Ian.

G'day Fred
I'm interested in your mods to the 4P boot rom. Way back in the early 90's I modified the Rom so it would load the MODELx/III file from the hard drive and alter the boot speed of the XLR8er card, also works with the FreHD. It has it's limitations but seems to work OK. Your welcome to a copy if it helps.
cheers

Hi.

I recently acquired a 4P. The motherboard has a mod with 2 wires on the eprom. (Machine has a low serial number). I dumped the eprom, and it's the regular one. Therefore, I wonder if this mod is genuine or not. (I intend to hack the 4P rom to add a better FreHD support)

View attachment 14948

Anybody in the same situation ?

-Fred

What sort of issues are you seeing with the FreHD? I haven't ordered one yet and am still using my GIDE and 2.5 HD... but intend to go this route after clearing up some other ($$) problems...

'Forewarned is forearmed' as the saying goes. :rolleyes:
:D

FreHD has no issue with the 4P. It even auto-boots with the Tandy rom (if LSDOS is patched). I now have patched the rom to boot from FreHD, similar to the model 3 and 4 (and soon model 1), with support to auto-boot LDOS 5.3.1, LSDOS 6.3.1, CP/M. Other OS coming soon.

My patched rom also provides support to download the model III rom from FreHD instead of the floppy.

The patched roms (model 3, 4, 4 azerty and 4P) are not officially released yet, but beta users (need to be able to burn an eprom) can contact me if they want the code.

-Fred

I guess I don't understand then... but that's okay.
I thought the 4p would already load the 3's rom... but I guess I am wrong.

I guess I don't understand then... but that's okay.
I thought the 4p would already load the 3's rom... but I guess I am wrong.

It does, but from floppy. The patch allows to load the 3's rom from FreHD, so it's almost instantaneous.

-Fred

Back