• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5150 Memory Requirements?

j2theLj

Hi,
I recently got hold of an Intel 8/16 LAN adapter for my 5150 and I was hoping to set it up for some BBSing. I wonder what the memory requirements are though.

My machine has 64k - will I need to find an upgrade to make use of the network card?

The same question goes for the XT CF Lite that I’m considering getting - would 64k be enough?

I think you will need a later version of DOS that will not fit in 64K to use either. I hope you can find an affordable memory upgrade.

My machine has 64k - will I need to find an upgrade to make use of the network card?
That 64 KB would need to fit DOS, software to access the BBS, and network related software. Sounds like a 'tall order' to me, but I have never tried it.

64 KB is not even enough RAM for DOS version 3.3
128 KB is not enough RAM for MS-DOS 6.22

You are seeking someone who can tell you something like, "The minimum requirements are xxx software, and yyy software, at least DOS version zzz, and at least aaa amount of RAM."

The same question goes for the XT CF Lite that I’m considering getting - would 64k be enough?
Not a consideration for the XT CF Lite itself. But presumably, DOS will be on the CF card, and DOS will have a minimum RAM requirement (dependent on version).

... find an upgrade ...
In case you are not already aware, note that the IBM 5150 has a requirement that all motherboard RAM banks be populated before a RAM expansion card is added.

You will definitely have to upgrade. You really can't run much of anything in DOS with only 64KB, except for maybe a few early DOS 1.0 apps. I think DOS 2.1 is the last version that will even boot on just 64KB.

Is your motherboard the 16KB-64KB version, or the 64KB-256KB version?

Thanks all, yes it does sound like an upgrade is inevitable.

I have the 64kb-256kb board - I didn’t actually know that all the RAM banks had to be populated to use a memory expansion card. I had a quick check and all the banks are populated on the motherboard.

I later saw that the minimum requirements for Brutman’s mTCP is stated as at least 94kb and it would be nice with DOS 3.xx.

I’ll report back when I’ve found a memory upgrade…

I didn’t actually know that all the RAM banks had to be populated to use a memory expansion card.
That, and other useful information for people new to the IBM 5150 is in the 'IBM 5150 Basics' web page at:

1. Goto minuszerodegrees.net
2. Navigate down to the IBM 5150 section.
3. Click on {Basics}.

I’ll report back when I’ve found a memory upgrade…
I have a feeling that you are going to respond to what jafir wrote about Cassette BASIC, indicating that you figured 64 KB from what Cassette BASIC printed on-screen.

In Cassette BASIC, you can find out how much RAM there is by entering in the following two lines. After the second is entered, the RAM amount will be displayed (e.g. "256"). Assumption: Motherboard switches set correctly.
def seg = &h40
print peek(&h14)*256 + peek(&h13)

That, and other useful information for people new to the IBM 5150 is in the 'IBM 5150 Basics' web page at:

1. Goto minuszerodegrees.net
2. Navigate down to the IBM 5150 section.
3. Click on {Basics}.

I have a feeling that you are going to respond to what jafir wrote about Cassette BASIC, indicating that you figured 64 KB from what Cassette BASIC printed on-screen.

In Cassette BASIC, you can find out how much RAM there is by entering in the following two lines. After the second is entered, the RAM amount will be displayed (e.g. "256"). Assumption: Motherboard switches set correctly.
def seg = &h40
print peek(&h14)*256 + peek(&h13)
Yes, spot on. I really am a novice and should study your excellent resource thoroughly. Thanks for pointing me there.

Back