• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

64C Serial keyboard?

ardsleytank

Experienced Member
Okay, hopefully you guys won't throw rocks at me for saying this...

Is there an adapter or wiring diagram for the 64C keyboard that takes it from the proprietary plugs to a serial/PS2/USB plug?

Or am I insane?

That's awesome. I'm plan to use a 64C as a case for my Raspberry Pi...

That's why I wondered if the I could make the keyboard work. Thanks again!

About a week ago, I scored a C64 at an antique store auction! :D I have ordered the parts, but I have a question.

What is voltage is the C64 Power LED?

About a week ago, I scored a C64 at an antique store auction! :D I have ordered the parts, but I have a question.

What is voltage is the C64 Power LED?

V=(TooBright-1)R

If it's a red LED, maybe 1.7V

Did you get a 64C or a 64? What will you do with your discarded gubbins?

Unfortunately, a breadbin. Sadly, the 8 key is busted... Also got a 1541 drive!

I plad to sell the gubbins, (I love that word!), and the FDD. The 1541 seems to work. Plugged it in, it spun for a moment, then stopped. Green power LED on all the time.

Don't suppose you'd be interested would you?

So, is 5V too much for the LED? Don't want to burn it out...

5V will make a red LED orange or yellow for a second or two. Wear safety glasses.

As long as you have all the broken pieces, you can glue the key back together.

LED's are designed to work on a specific current, not voltage... The voltage on the LED can be anything between 1 and 5 Volts depending on color and internal construction. You need to limit the current by using a resistor.

Assume you want to connect the LED to 5 Volts and use 10 mA as a safe current value you can roughly calculate a resistor value by simply dividing 5 Volts by 10 mA which results in 500 ohms, 470 or 560 is the nearest standard value. Just use this to see if the LED is bright enough. (I discarded the unknown voltage drop over the LED here).

Modern LED's are much brighter than the old ones so increase the resistor value until the light level is enough for your taste.

So, a red LED would work on 5v? Interesting...

Also, forgot to add, the 8 key is broken and missing. Plunger, spring and all. Any suggestions on where to get a replacement?

LEDs have a forward voltage drop. A typical Red LED is around 2V. So (5V - 2V)/0.01A= 300 Ohms for the dropping resistor for a 5V circuit.

Tom

Back