• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8000 series computers

Bish500

Experienced Member
I just picked up three 8000 series CBM machines.

One 8032 was missing a fuse - easy fix

There are two others - One 8032 that has a daughter board that goes into one of the two empty EPROM slots (there's a piece of masking tape around the power cord that says "super pet", but it does not resemble what I remember the innards of as SuperPet to look like - and there are no "mode switches" on the side of the case) and an 8096 that has a much bigger daughter board (assuming it's for extra RAM?)

These two are dead. When I turn them on, I do hear the transformer/power system "thud", but do not hear the chime, or see anything on the screen.

I know the starting place is to check voltages coming off the transformer - what voltages am I looking at from which terminals? What's the likely cause of failure if the power system is OK?

I was thinking that now that I have a working machine, I could do a board swap and see if I get any positive outcome that way?

Advice?

B.

I'd suggest wiring a 100 Watt Incandescent Light bulb in series with the Computer. That way a SHORT won't blow
anything. The Light Bulb will just light.

Zimmers has the Tech manual & Schematic available.

Larry

An update: I've tried the boards in the known working case, and neither will power up. The one with the daughter board (which a friend tells me is an EPROM expander) is corroded. The 8096 board seems to be in good physical condition, but will not power up.

I'd suggest wiring a 100 Watt Incandescent Light bulb in series with the Computer. That way a SHORT won't blow
anything. The Light Bulb will just light.

Zimmers has the Tech manual & Schematic available.

Larry

Thanks, Larry. I'll look at Zimmers site, and see if I can find a troubleshooting guide. I have zero experience with board repair, so I'm pretty sure a schematic won't help me.

Does anyone have a cap kit list and/or a cap map for the 8032 monitor?

I have a fairly small picture on the screen of the first one I've repaired...maybe the middle half of the screen, with lots of blank space on the top and bottom.

I think the capacitors are dried out, and I need to replace them. I have downloaded the schematic from zimmers.net...but it doesn't have a component list.

Thanks!

Back