• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8GB SSD for 486 and pentium laptops?

pcm2a

Experienced Member
Has anyone had any experience with 8gb or smaller 2.5" SSD IDE drives in old laptops, specifically 486 to pentium 1 era? Normally I replace dying drives with a CF to IDE adapter and a 2-4gb CF card. It's faster than a hard drive and costs me about $20 on amazon. There is some 8gb SSD's up on the ebay for less and I would think they would perform way better than a CF card. The only downside being that it's easier to pop out a CF card. Some laptops wont work with some CF cards but I wonder if they would all work with the SSD (DDO might be needed).

Honestly with the limitations on the IDE controller in those boards, the CF card is already nearing the limit.
Its not really worth it. Some BIOSes don't work with CF that is true. I think it is a bug relating to the removable bit from what I have gathered on here

So no performance increases over CF cards but it should still work more universally than a CF card? Is there any chance that no old laptops work with it?

Most CompactFlash cards don't support multi-sector transfers (cards like SanDisk Ultra II "30MB/s" do however), so the SSD should perform faster than most CF cards.

Back