• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A 16 has been added to the collection

Thanks for the input.

Thanks, Hans01 of the Netherlands ;) for the jumper info. Jumper 3 installed on the Hans-02 and jumper 1 is removed from Lo-Tech. Progress is (sort of) being made.

The PQI Industrial 128MB DOM fails here:

and here:

However, substituting a completely inappropriate Kingston Industrial 8GB DOM, it fails here:

with the Lo-Tech Act. light lit.

And substituting a 512kB CD card and using LSDOS620.IMD and the TRSHD2/DT and TRSFORM2/CMD it gets this far into "verifying" and bad format before it quits:

The Hans-02 is talking to the Lo-Tech and the Lo-Tech is talking to the media.

Seems to me that the PQI 128MB DOM is bad??? If I install it as hard drive 2 behind an IDE HD, is there anything I can to fix it?

Mike

Ugh. What a shame. I just had this happen with a Tandy 1000 TX and monitor. Both got totally wrecked since the seller basically threw everything in one box with like two squares of bubble wrap. Needless to say the TX got here DOA, and one ISA slot was actually broken off. The monitor casing was also cracked in several places.

My attitude is to not even discuss it with these sellers. I just innitiate a return with pictures of the damage. If they want to make me an offer, fine. Otherwise they can give me a refund and pay the return shipping. When this kind of stuff happens, Ebay always rules in the buyers favor.

@MikeModifed

First remove old info:
SYSGEN NO
AUTO
SYSGEN

Reboot

System (drive=4,disable,driver="DOM6/DRV")
Select 1
heads 8
tracks 203
heads / partition 2
start 1

Repeat for drive 5, 6, 7

Format 4, 5, 6, 7

If there is still an error on the DOM, than the DOM is bad.
IAN has the PQI 128 Mb. DOMs on stock.

Success.

SYSGEN NO

"Specified drive is write protected"

SYSTEM(DRIVE=0,WP=NO)

SYSGEN NO

"Specified drive is write protected"

Card is NOT physically write protected.

Hans:

I'm booting off of the DOM_BOOT_hfe.IMD (that you sent me Saturday night) on my HxC.

The SD card is NOT physically write protected.

Mike

Mike:

Try to remove the drivers from the boot disk:

System (drive=4,disable)
System (drive=5,disable)
System (drive=6,disable)
System (drive=7,disable)

Now setup the drivers
system(drive=4,enable,driver="DOM6/DRV")
etc.

That's what I was doing in the second picture above. It locks up after entering the starting head. If I leave your sysgen'd drives, it locks up after entering "password" (1st pic above).

Mike

As a former UPSer, sometimes its worth it to pay the extra $$$ for overnight/air. Each time a package is unloaded it is literally tossed onto a belt, the sort aisle picks it up, spins it to get the zip code and then its thrown onto another belt. Then after it bops around and rolls on that belt it is picked up again and stacked (still rough and fast but the gentlest part of the cycle) into a truck. A large box is often placed on the bottom to keep the wall steady so a large box is more likely to be crushed than smaller ones. Once this trailer arrives at the next destination the process starts all over. Air packages are usually handled by more experienced folk, the containers they are stored in are a LOT smaller (less chance of crushing!) and best of all they usually only go through this process 1/3 to 1/4 of the times a ground shipment will.

Its tough coming home and seeing the box on your door step and seeing a huge gouge of cardboard taken out. :-(

As a former UPSer, sometimes its worth it to pay the extra $$$ for overnight/air. Each time a package is unloaded it is literally tossed onto a belt, the sort aisle picks it up, spins it to get the zip code and then its thrown onto another belt. Then after it bops around and rolls on that belt it is picked up again and stacked (still rough and fast but the gentlest part of the cycle) into a truck. A large box is often placed on the bottom to keep the wall steady so a large box is more likely to be crushed than smaller ones. Once this trailer arrives at the next destination the process starts all over. Air packages are usually handled by more experienced folk, the containers they are stored in are a LOT smaller (less chance of crushing!) and best of all they usually only go through this process 1/3 to 1/4 of the times a ground shipment will.

Its tough coming home and seeing the box on your door step and seeing a huge gouge of cardboard taken out. :-(

I stopped using ups because everything arrives damaged regardless of how it is packed. I now only use usps or fedex ground, but only if fedex does the packing....they charge a lot to pack but never had a problem. Knock on wood...

I avoid UPS whenever I can, for the same reason. I've had quite a few UPS shipments of mundane consumer sundries this year, and the damage to the packaging is utterly absurd. Nothing arrives without severe damage. Amazon must anticipate this though because they've managed to package in a way that the contents always arrive undamaged.

I've had people package things in amazingly stupid ways and ship them to me USPS with only one case of actual damage that I can recall, and it sure wasn't USPS' fault.

Opening it up, NOTHING removed:

Wow - this is nearly identical to the way my IBM 3279 terminal was packed. It arrived totally smashed. I wonder if it was the same seller.

What kind of moron would think that a few bits of crumpled newspaper could cushion a giant, heavy CRT?

Painfull to see how it's packed and I hope you can restore it. I'm glad I managed to pickup my Tandy Model 16 myself and it's now safe in the HomeComputerMuseum. Never turned it on tough.

(yes, there's a M4 manual on top which is actually standing next to the Model 16).

Because of this thread, I'll probably going to replace the RIFA's in the machine and fire it up. I also have another HDD unit and a networkcontroller for this machine so let's see if we can connect some M4's to the device :D

Painfull to see how it's packed and I hope you can restore it. I'm glad I managed to pickup my Tandy Model 16 myself and it's now safe in the HomeComputerMuseum. Never turned it on tough.

(yes, there's a M4 manual on top which is actually standing next to the Model 16).

Because of this thread, I'll probably going to replace the RIFA's in the machine and fire it up. I also have another HDD unit and a networkcontroller for this machine so let's see if we can connect some M4's to the device :D

Nice 16 setup!

However, I do cringe a bit when I see the computer on top of the HD unit like that. That HD case can get damaged with that much weight on top of it. I've seen a number of those cases bent and the bezel mounting sockets broken from too much weight on top. The overlapping tabbed case halves will get forced into each other with enough weight.

The M16 doesn't seem that heavy compared to the HD below. I'd say the HD-unit is double the weight of the M16, so the reverse way (HD on top of Tandy) sounds much worse. I may change the setup anyway, I have another disk unit around and a network-controller (which is a pretty large box, haven't opened that one) which may come in it's place (and next to it instead of under).

The M16 doesn't seem that heavy compared to the HD below. I'd say the HD-unit is double the weight of the M16, so the reverse way (HD on top of Tandy) sounds much worse. I may change the setup anyway, I have another disk unit around and a network-controller (which is a pretty large box, haven't opened that one) which may come in it's place (and next to it instead of under).

I'd strongly suggest placing the HD next to the computer rather than under or on top. Also notice that the 16's legs are straddling the HD unit which means the floor of the computer is resting directly on the HD. The cooling fan is on the floor so it is essentially blocked in this configuration.

Back