• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.
  • Here are the results of the VCF East 2022 Post Event Survey: Survey Results

A cbm 2001?

Se87

Experienced Member
Okay, now is the time for me to ask myself, "What on earth have I gotten in to?" I won a bid on eBay for a $115 CBM 2001 computer for parts. By looking at it the case was in great shape but needed a repaint. When I finally got it I realized that the seller couldn't open it because the back of the lid was tilted in. I used my pliars and pulled it apart to only be disgusted.

I measured 2 millimeters of dust over EVERYTHING and a common house spider as old as the CBM itself. This case hasn't probably been opened since 1978. I plugged it in and lucky as I thought I could be it booted up. I figured the ICs had jolted back into place on the trip so I cleaned the board with achohol and Q-tips, which I still wasn't happy with. There was still a dried on layer of dust. Just to make sure everything still is okay I plug it in and garbage fills the green monochrome monitor. I unplugged it and tapped on the legs of the chips and it turned back on flawlessy. I switched it off and back on and it died again.

At this time I was taking a break because I accidentally stabbed myself when trying to remove the circuitboard so the project was on hold for a few weeks. Yesterday I went to Lowes to get the cosmetics over with. Just a nice hint to any dirty PET users there is a very nice appliance spraypaint called "Biscuit" of all things and it matched flawlessy with my CBM. I also took out all the ICs for a 50/50 achohol-water wash for the board, which made it look right off the assembly line. Now also one pin was broken off one IC and I forgot the orientation and places. Great. I cleaned the pins to find I was suprised it worked at all, so horrendously dirty they were black, but Commodore Computers were quite sturdy in my opinion. I have a fire-survivor Vic-20 and a Commodore 64 that sat on a barn for 15 years. Not really a suprise when my rugged CBM was the most durable with the metal case.

Now I just go to google thinking there will be tons of websites about this just like the PET, but no. I couldn't find anything hardly about it. I know it's a type-2 mainboard but mine is the only model I've seen that has this bluish keyboard. Any help guys? I need to know which ICs go where and the orientation. Plus, to make it better, there is a tiny rip on one of the output on the power supply. Any and all help is appreciated, I'm literally dumbfounded by this.

Maverick1978

Veteran Member
PICTURES!! :) Sounds like your machine is one of the lucky ones... been through hell, but still works through it all.

I'm hoping to begin restoration on my PET 2001-8 and 8032 within the next 2-3 months. I'll need to get a few parts for them however...

Se87

Experienced Member
Once the paint is done I will. It was lucky, might have been in a school district.

carlsson

Veteran Member
I think most sockets have notches, but perhaps not all. Which chips do you need to reseat, and which one had a leg broken off?

tezza

Veteran Member
Congrats!

I'm surprised it works with a leg broken off. Or did you manage to solder it back on.

Tez

barythrin

Veteran Member
You have the "chiclet" keyboard or the replacement/full keyed keyboard? I'm a bit surprised you're not finding information on that model though but not sure what you're seeking specifically. You might have a look around here

Se87

Experienced Member
You have the "chiclet" keyboard or the replacement/full keyed keyboard? I'm a bit surprised you're not finding information on that model though but not sure what you're seeking specifically. You might have a look around here

No help at all, mine is a CBM 2001 from 1978, board revision 2. As I just noticed there's one on eBay right now if anyone wants to find this out together :p. Oh and by the way it is the full size keyboard, with this bluish tint to it. Most pictures it is black. The owner was a business lease company so it had seen much better days, but at least it had a good home now, right?

MikeS

Veteran Member
No help at all, mine is a CBM 2001 from 1978, board revision 2.
Ah yes, ask for help but don't answer any questions or send asked-for pictures that might help...

And of course don't reveal where you are despite having been asked at least once...

Maybe I'll have better luck: What's the number on the board?

Does it look like this (from the site that you were pointed to that was "no help at all"):
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/computers/pet/2001N/320351-6.gif

Last edited:

Se87

Experienced Member
Ah yes, ask for help but don't answer any questions or send asked-for pictures that might help...

And of course don't reveal where you are despite having been asked at least once...

Maybe I'll have better luck: What's the number on the board?

Does it look like this (from the site that you were pointed to that was "no help at all"):
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/schematics/computers/pet/2001N/320351-6.gif

As I have said before I am in Ohio. Just a little bit forgetful, I'll do that after this post. I think that might be the board, I'm not so sure though. I have to make the CBM to look acceptable before the entire world wide web sees it :)