• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A complete Apple IIc for free!

QuantumII

Veteran Member
A mirror of my post over at 68kmla.org:

During my semi-weekly walk around the area to check out the e-waste rooms at the nearby uni, I found a complete Apple IIc.

It has the monitor, extra floppy drive, home-made serial-to-paralell box and the composite cable and the power supply. It came with 2 floppies, "AppleWorks" and a second one probably used for data storage. There also was a printer there, but it was inkjet by the looks of it, and not something I'd want anyway.

It is 110v, therefore I have not powered it on yet (I need to get home where my 110v supply are)

It's dirty, and also shows some yellowing. It sure was fun carrying all this back to work ;)

apple2c.jpg

That's awesome! The only classic computer I've "found" like that was a Multitech MicroProfessor, found on top of a bunch of office stuff in a dumpster (I was at work, and taking some trash out). Works great, but I need to find the documentation for it someday.

That's a great find. Congratulations! :)

Congrats on the find. The //c is a pretty easy machine to find software and parts for as well :)

Unfortunately the IIc is dead. I suspect the PSU, so I will measure it to see if I get a voltage reading. It hums inside, so it is not completely dead (the PSU). The monitor seems to work fine.

Unfortunately the IIc is dead. I suspect the PSU, so I will measure it to see if I get a voltage reading. It hums inside, so it is not completely dead (the PSU). The monitor seems to work fine.

Fixed it. The secondary side on the transformer had a loose solder joint where it connected to the power supply DC converter PCB. I repaired the connection, and lo and behold. Whirring and a green light! Now for the reassembly and connecting everything together to see if it outputs anything to the screen :)

Those power supplies sure is a real b*tch to open. Very simple design though, that kinda makes up for it. Much better than the evil switchmode supplies of today!

Wow, that's a lot easier than the Apple //cs I acquired. The monitors always work, but the CPUs, drives,keyboards, and PSUs have been a pain...

Back