• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A NEC 8201a. A new resident at the rest home

Power supply woes continue

Power supply woes continue

Tried a charge for 4 hours and it only charged about .07 volts. That small amount may have just been the battery rebounding a little. Should not have let it charge that long cause now the six volt power supply does not work.:cry:

CK

update: the bat light comes on with both power sources so hopefully no further damage, and is same problem -no charge from PS, and PS does not come on if bat is 5.2 volts or less. Then again maybe I'm slowly killing something(s) with PS. Think I'll replace that 5 cent diode for $10, and give it rest for awhile.

Last edited:
I'd start by putting in a fresh set of Alkaline AAs or fully charged NiCD/NiMHs, and/or using the correct ~9VDC adapter...

Are you by any chance using rechargeable batteries in the non-rechargeable holder? And which diode are you talking about?

Last edited:
I'd start by putting in a fresh set of Alkaline AAs or fully charged NiCD/NiMHs, and/or using the correct ~9VDC adapter...

Are you by any chance using rechargeable batteries in the non-rechargeable holder? And which diode are you talking about?

Using correct batteries. Diode is D-2, and has continuity in both directions. Is second diode on power supply and schematic shows it's the first diode coming out of the bat pack to the PS.

CK

Found another 6 volt 350 mah PS that more closely matches, and it appears to work but don't really want to test with a known bad diode.

update: D-2 tested okay with one leg lifted out of circuit (no clue why). Also, pins 3 and 6 have -5.18 and 5.12 volts with new walwart, as per manual. Battery power still has peculiar readings on pins 3 and 6. New theory is this 6 volt walwart only has enough power to charge bats slighly higher than current bat voltage of 5.10. So unless theory is disproved I will take out bats and keep only walwart only hooked up for now, and see how she works as an "always on desktop".

It is amazing how many walwarts you can find around your house.:) Still have not found a 8.5, and neither of my 9 volts work properly. Not sure if the 9 volts could be modified or if I should be on the look out for a 8 volt supply?

btw - I am doing some basic programming finally, and the "desktop" runs beautifully! Also, noticed that the screen has gotten brighter and the speaker volume has gotten louder for some reason?

Last edited:
Back