• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A quick tour of my Tandy 1000 EX computer

Awesome work dJOS. And thank you for sharing your work with a fellow Tandy EX owner!

Looking forward to receiving my adapter!

Awesome work dJOS. And thank you for sharing your work with a fellow Tandy EX owner!

Looking forward to receiving my adapter!

Thanks mate, I must admit that it feels really good when you create something that solves a problem for others too. :cool:

I'm really looking forward to seeing pics or videos from other EX/HX owners! :lovecircle:

Here're mine!:

I needed to mod a little the plastic cover; but it's worth the effort...and the sacrilege!:

Now it's easy to swap cards and the best....it works!. Thanks for the adapter! :)

I've also replaced the 8088 with a NEC V20. Looking at the double oscillators, seems that there's some overclocking possibilities; but I haven't been able to disassemble the motherboard (!) to try swapping crystals :p

Nice one, your case mod is really clean, well done sir! :cool:

Ps I love the way you've incorporated the external c.f. Bracket, that's awesome!

I've had some fun with my 1000 EX recently, I hid a Green LED under the Num-Lock light for my HDD activity light - it's a little dim but works well enough for my needs and it's just using hot-glue to hold it in place so it's easily reverted or changed if need be.

I also got around to finishing off my Gotek External USB Floppy Drive - it even has an OLED display now! :cool:

Before:
sZJ65qAl.jpg

After
Vs7JuwGl.jpg

I've made another video showing a the new OPL2LPT Parallel port Adlib Card and a Covox Speech thing clone working on my 1000 EX, I hope you enjoy it.

Excellent work! Congrats! Definitely sign me up for one

Have you considered seeing if you can get to fit in an SX? It has a similar clearance issue when using a hardcard. Because I have a smartwatch installed, I can’t put my hardcard in either of the last two slots. The card ends up using three slots.

Excellent work! Congrats! Definitely sign me up for one

Have you considered seeing if you can get to fit in an SX? It has a similar clearance issue when using a hardcard. Because I have a smartwatch installed, I can’t put my hardcard in either of the last two slots. The card ends up using three slots.

No dramas, I've just ordered a different type of DIP socket compatible pin header so I wont have to use 3 relatively expensive DIP sockets - hopefully I wont need to modify that part of the design + I need to order the new PCB's so it'll be a few weeks away yet.

Can you share pics of the SX BIOS ROM location? It might not take much to make a compatible version.

Sure thing. Here are shots from both the SX and the TX. They share the issue, but the chips are located differently. I'd be a-ok if the whole thing attached via ribbon cable so I could stick it to the side of the drive bay or something.

EDIT: I'm just posting a link to tvdog where he writes about it at length. The images were friggin huge

http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/TXSX.html

Last edited:
Sure thing. Here are shots from both the SX and the TX. They share the issue, but the chips are located differently. I'd be a-ok if the whole thing attached via ribbon cable so I could stick it to the side of the drive bay or something.

EDIT: I'm just posting a link to tvdog where he writes about it at length. The images were friggin huge

http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/TXSX.html

It's doable, I'll see if the parts are available.

So I've got another new adapter available for the 1000 EX & HX machines, it uses my external floppy drive cable to allow you to add a standard 3.5" Floppy drive externally without needing a case or power supply.

I'm also having a cyber Monday 15% off stocked items sale.

Discount code: 040C19A7

2018-11-24T06%3A19%3A20.426Z-2018-11-24%2016.17.55.jpg

2018-11-24T06%3A19%3A20.426Z-2018-11-24%2016.20.01.jpg

2018-11-24T06%3A19%3A20.426Z-2018-11-24%2016.28.29.jpg

Back